GROSS! What grosses you out the most in this hobby?

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 171 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 223 56.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess gross is in the eye? nose? of the beholder. there are things that are less appealing than others but i enjoy it all. as long as i stay out of my fridge. my standard of gross is a border collie that found the fishing worm container that was in the back yard too long and thought a roll in the contents would make a good fur conditioner.

Last edited:

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking to see if a snail is dead by taking a big ol' whiff of it!;Vomit
OMG especially when it's a turbo that's as big as a small lime! I had to smell a bag of coffee beans three different times afterward. I'm pretty sure the last time was just my memory supplying that gag-inducing miasma, but yeah...no. I'll take a skimmer cup ANY day of the week!

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how do I even begin :

Bristleworms - more like fiery nightmare fuel

Copepods - good guys but I hate after lights out my aquarium glass looks like it’s fluid

pulling out algae - somehow only the fingers are capable of loosening it’s grip

snails - I hate when you have to move them and then they stick their foot out and touch your fingers;Vomit just stay in your shell I am trying to help you but if you touch my hand you are liable to be thrown across the room

skimmate strangely doesn’t bug me

spaghetti worms would make me set my house on fire just to be sure

turkeereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True story, many years ago...

I had a tank with a hang on overflow. As with most of these devices, it slowly builds up air at the top of the U tube, and will eventually quit flowing. I stuck a bit of airline into the U tube, left it hanging into the sump. Every once in a while, I'd grab the end of the airline, and suck the air out of the U tube.

Sucked a bristle worm into my mouth.

Yeah, it was as bad as you're thinking.

Back in the day when we worked at SEA WORLD AQUACULTURE, my now ex-wife was starting a siphon from a broodstock tank on a rack above her head. She had to suck the siphon hose with a lot of force to get it started but she wasn't planning for what happened next.....eating an rotten, decaying anemone.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms. They gross me out but yet when I see one I can't stop watching. I have some mighty big ones, too. I've tried traps to thin the population but my bristleworms seem to have developed a high level of intelligence while growing to their enormous size! I realize they do some good work in the tank but I don't need bristleworms that are bigger than my fish! Yuck!

Skimmer cup. The fishy outhouse.

Sick fish. When I scroll through pictures of fish with diseases and parasites and whatnot I get a serious case of the yucks. There was a time when I considered becoming a veterinarian. Then I realized I couldn't deal with sick critters.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family members dislike the feather duster worms that are growing on my live rock. To me its a poor mans christmas tree rock.
133B4FDA-2DA0-42A8-9453-90B9730C5560.jpeg
ED3265DF-EB1D-4983-93FD-FAE777A650CC.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the skimmer is rank and dead snails are even worse, but daily its the Nori clip phew

panzai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly most of it is gross! Skimmer. Sump. Feeding. Poop. I sold my tank but still interested in the hobby. Lesson learned - next time I get a tank I need to hire someone to maintain and clean it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back