• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

GROSS! What grosses you out the most in this hobby?

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 165 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 221 56.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Cannibalism. We had a pixie hawkfish eat our skunk shrimp a couple of days ago. So, horrified and grossed out.
That would be carnivorous not cannibalist.

BTW, Im shocked and kinda confused at the amount of bristle worm hate on here! They are a necessary link in the food chain. Literally everything in your tank is slimy/crawly/gross including the fish and corals when you touch them. Everything smells.. but oh god the bristle worms are unbearable! I don't get it!

But to me, I find nothing visually gross. I refuse to touch anything bare handed though as slimy texture is gross to me.

Last edited:

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
What grossed me out is that smell when u pull a snail out of the tank that’s been dead a few days. Sometimes I find one and it’s not moving so I will put it up on a rock for a day or two, no movement = death. Your choice is to dump the shell contents back Into the water as you take it out or dump the whole thing in the trash..... either way it’s a losing situation. Sometimes to avoid the L, I will just take it outside and hurl it off into the woods.

Bleigh

The lich queen
View Badges
Reaction score
Bristle worms get me. The bottom of my sump isn't my favorite either.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Okay I'm gonna bite....why were there 15 dead mice in the back of your truck ;Sour
I'm an exterminator and I service a seed research development and distribution facility . They don't have a shortage of food.
A target rich environment.

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure if I figured how much I’ve spent over the last 7 years of being in the hobby, I would be pretty grossed out. I’d probably throw up in my mouth.

Squidward

View Badges
Reaction score
Ecotech prices and 99% of coral prices gross me out lol. Definitely bristleworms. I don't care how many times other reefers say they're a great part of the CUC. Glad I don't have any!

DrewBR

View Badges
Reaction score
I don't mind most things in the aquarium. However, once I ordered a large amount of coral online.
When it got to me most o it was fine with the notable exception of a large mushroom colony, the bag was a milky red color.
I filmed the bag and send to the seller and he told me to open it to see if there was anything left.
So I set my phone to film me opening the bag. Once I opened it the putrid nightmare inside the bag got to me. And that's how I filmed myself puking.
Since then I get nauseous when I move or frag mushrooms. The hint of the smell is more than enough.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
The putrid smell of my first live rock shipment. Wasn’t expecting it and man was that awful! I think that’s that only thing that ever really grossed me out so far.

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok, I can’t be the only person here who finds that bristleworm video totally fascinating. I mean, how!?

But parasitic isopods, that just gives me the creeps.

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 165 43.5%
  • Every Month

Votes: 19 5.0%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 46 12.1%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 52 13.7%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 42 11.1%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 17 4.5%