GROSS! What grosses you out the most in this hobby?

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 170 42.8%
  • No

Votes: 223 56.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the most gross thing about keeping a saltwater aquarium to you?

The biggest thing that grosses me out in this hobby is how it negatively effects my GROSS INCOME
+1 on this. It is disgusting how fast this hobby can drain the pocket book! ;Wacky

HA yes that one gets me too! When I'm feeding and the big fat blue tang poops and all the other fish mistake it for food! EWWWW!
Umm... they weren't mistaking it for food. Plenty of nutritional value left after one pass through the digestive system.... Just saying. ;Vomit

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smelly skimmate

20200811_110002.jpg

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us were lured into this hobby like prey to an anglerfish! Well maybe it wasn't that bad but it was a good analogy I wanted to use! :p The point is that many of us saw the "pretty" of keeping a saltwater aquarium and either ignored the "ugly" or were just oblivious to it! To me it's worth it but that doesn't make some parts of this hobby any less gross! So let's talk about what's gross to you!

What is the most gross thing about keeping a saltwater aquarium to you? (Share any photos you have)

I am going to share two of my most "favorite" :/ gross things so proceed at your own risk!

1. Worms........Bristle worms in aquarium plumbing.

2. Second is an isopod that eats the tongue of it's host! Ewwww! YUCK!

Image via this Dive Photo Guide article.
1391022604.jpg

1391022519.jpg

The grosser part of that worm video is it's allowed to drop back to the sump. :eek:;Vomit

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us were lured into this hobby like prey to an anglerfish! Well maybe it wasn't that bad but it was a good analogy I wanted to use! :p The point is that many of us saw the "pretty" of keeping a saltwater aquarium and either ignored the "ugly" or were just oblivious to it! To me it's worth it but that doesn't make some parts of this hobby any less gross! So let's talk about what's gross to you!

What is the most gross thing about keeping a saltwater aquarium to you? (Share any photos you have)

I am going to share two of my most "favorite" :/ gross things so proceed at your own risk!

1391022604.jpg

1391022519.jpg

1391022604.jpg

1391022519.jpg

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRISTLEWORMS BRISTLEWORMS BRISTLEWORMS.

(really any kind of worm)

Honestly, I feel like if I knew they were there they wouldn't gross me out as much. I can still remember the very first time I saw this 8-10 inch giant centipede thing in my little 13.5g nano tank and I had no idea what I was looking at. Didn't understand hitchhikers in some newly acquired live rock at the time and I sure freaked out from it...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back