GROSS! What grosses you out the most in this hobby?

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 171 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 223 56.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been grossed out by anything aquarium related, I personally just don't get grossed out very easily. The only thing that grosses me out at all are internal worms, but only when if I can see them in a corpse :cool:

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grossest thing in this hobby, Is a large dead anemone. I used to work in a shop, and not all anemones survive. The rotting corpse, which happens faster than you would think, is absolutely the worst smell ever.

Noob1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how do I even begin :

Bristleworms - more like fiery nightmare fuel

Copepods - good guys but I hate after lights out my aquarium glass looks like it’s fluid

pulling out algae - somehow only the fingers are capable of loosening it’s grip

snails - I hate when you have to move them and then they stick their foot out and touch your fingers;Vomit just stay in your shell I am trying to help you but if you touch my hand you are liable to be thrown across the room

skimmate strangely doesn’t bug me

spaghetti worms would make me set my house on fire just to be sure
I agree with everything there but smell of skimmer cup is still rotten
I have a old school tank With a weir overflow, The last time an over excited fish jumped in there while feeding, I had to take all the plumping out and found lots of little slug type creatures? I hoped they were adult copepods but not sure so left them there. Pretty gross but any ideas what they maybe. After watching that video I pray the are not bristle worms!

lester lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing about 100 brittle starfish from my aquarium last week they were everywhere I’ve grown quite use to them because they don’t let any food go uneaten but I moved my aquarium so my floors could get re finished and it required me to drain the water all the way down once I replaced the water they came from everywhere and were near the top of my scape so n huge bunches I probably pulled out 100 or more of them all different sizes that was a pretty grossing task

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the skimmer cup can make me gag it doesn't disgust me. It is just a gut wrenching smell. The only thing that really makes me go EWWW is touching certain corals. Mushroom doubley so. I grabbed my CandyCane yesterday for the first time and OMG it was so yucky. I yanked my hand back out of the tank before I realized it would get water everywhere. Sigh I'm a Infantry Marine and look the part. So seeing that image of me jumping for a tiny frag is something to experience I'm sure.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup before my current one I had my sump in a spare bedroom adjacent to the living room wall where the tank was. I walk in the bedroom and there is Duke my dog drinking from the sump. WT#! He's the best dog, but at times I think his cheese has slid off the cracker.

20180310_173917.jpg 20180610_184719.jpg
Awwww! He’s cute though ❤️

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
My setup before my current one I had my sump in a spare bedroom adjacent to the living room wall where the tank was. I walk in the bedroom and there is Duke my dog drinking from the sump. WT#! He's the best dog, but at times I think his cheese has slid off the cracker.

20180310_173917.jpg 20180610_184719.jpg
That's a Dane for ya. Lol

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work as an animal control officer. Was once on the scene of a cat hoarder that died in their home and was discovered 2 weeks later... nothing else animal related can quite hold a candle to that...

Randomuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannibalism. We had a pixie hawkfish eat our skunk shrimp a couple of days ago. So, horrified and grossed out.

Dennis Begley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bristle worms gross my wife out. I think they are kind of cool. I'd say the worse thing is either cleaning out the skimmer cup or taking the livestock out of the sock.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any and all types of anemone. They are squishy, gross, move around the tank, remind me of jelly fish, and I heard they can climb out of tanks at night and suck out brains. True story.

Jeff Kohlmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True story, many years ago...

I had a tank with a hang on overflow. As with most of these devices, it slowly builds up air at the top of the U tube, and will eventually quit flowing. I stuck a bit of airline into the U tube, left it hanging into the sump. Every once in a while, I'd grab the end of the airline, and suck the air out of the U tube.

Sucked a bristle worm into my mouth.

Yeah, it was as bad as you're thinking.

Tastes great... less filling!

Back