GROSS! What grosses you out the most in this hobby?

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 170 42.8%
  • No

Votes: 223 56.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannibalism. We had a pixie hawkfish eat our skunk shrimp a couple of days ago. So, horrified and grossed out.
That would be carnivorous not cannibalist.

BTW, Im shocked and kinda confused at the amount of bristle worm hate on here! They are a necessary link in the food chain. Literally everything in your tank is slimy/crawly/gross including the fish and corals when you touch them. Everything smells.. but oh god the bristle worms are unbearable! I don't get it!

But to me, I find nothing visually gross. I refuse to touch anything bare handed though as slimy texture is gross to me.

Last edited:

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter cleaning and skimmate.
giphy.gif

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grossed me out is that smell when u pull a snail out of the tank that’s been dead a few days. Sometimes I find one and it’s not moving so I will put it up on a rock for a day or two, no movement = death. Your choice is to dump the shell contents back Into the water as you take it out or dump the whole thing in the trash..... either way it’s a losing situation. Sometimes to avoid the L, I will just take it outside and hurl it off into the woods.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae. Specifically, when you take it out of the tank, and it's just limp and slimy, and it's the color of excrement. Yuck.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms get me. The bottom of my sump isn't my favorite either.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'm gonna bite....why were there 15 dead mice in the back of your truck ;Sour
I'm an exterminator and I service a seed research development and distribution facility . They don't have a shortage of food.
A target rich environment.

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure if I figured how much I’ve spent over the last 7 years of being in the hobby, I would be pretty grossed out. I’d probably throw up in my mouth.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech prices and 99% of coral prices gross me out lol. Definitely bristleworms. I don't care how many times other reefers say they're a great part of the CUC. Glad I don't have any!

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind most things in the aquarium. However, once I ordered a large amount of coral online.
When it got to me most o it was fine with the notable exception of a large mushroom colony, the bag was a milky red color.
I filmed the bag and send to the seller and he told me to open it to see if there was anything left.
So I set my phone to film me opening the bag. Once I opened it the putrid nightmare inside the bag got to me. And that's how I filmed myself puking.
Since then I get nauseous when I move or frag mushrooms. The hint of the smell is more than enough.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The putrid smell of my first live rock shipment. Wasn’t expecting it and man was that awful! I think that’s that only thing that ever really grossed me out so far.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one table I just cleaned that ive been putting on the back burner for awhile because it only had a hand full of zoa frags on the rack.

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I can’t be the only person here who finds that bristleworm video totally fascinating. I mean, how!?

But parasitic isopods, that just gives me the creeps.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back