Ground probe uncovers powerhead issue... Koralia or Nanostream replacement?

New powerheads for a 90 cube?

• Koralia 850

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I finally got around to the ground probe which has been on my 'You should have done that by now' list for... a while. :rolleyes:

I have a problem with not one, but two powerheads that are leaking current and pop the GFCI. Each pump individually does the same thing when it's isolated in a bucket with the ground probe.

This is for a 90 cube, so I need multiple smaller pumps, it does me no good to blast the front glass with a single monster, since all that does is annoy my euphyllia. I'm thinking a pair of Koralia 850s, or nanostream 6025s.

Much as I'd love to go with a fancy big name and be part of the cool kids club, I need to look at raw value in dollars per gph. The two Koralias that have gone bad are almost 5 years old. They have a good reputation for a bare-bones solution to moving water. I like the Tunze because it has way more articulation.

So.. Tunze? Koralia? Something else?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I finally got around to the ground probe which has been on my 'You should have done that by now' list for... a while. :rolleyes:

I have a problem with not one, but two powerheads that are leaking current and pop the GFCI. Each pump individually does the same thing when it's isolated in a bucket with the ground probe.

This is for a 90 cube, so I need multiple smaller pumps, it does me no good to blast the front glass with a single monster, since all that does is annoy my euphyllia. I'm thinking a pair of Koralia 850s, or nanostream 6025s.

Much as I'd love to go with a fancy big name and be part of the cool kids club, I need to look at raw value in dollars per gph. The two Koralias that have gone bad are almost 5 years old. They have a good reputation for a bare-bones solution to moving water. I like the Tunze because it has way more articulation.

So.. Tunze? Koralia? Something else?
I'm a fan of Tunze pumps in general.

I'm curious, how have your coral been doing? Any sign that copper may be leaching into your water or other contaminants? Do you run GAC/GFO?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is best bang for you buck.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, how have your coral been doing? Any sign that copper may be leaching into your water or other contaminants? Do you run GAC/GFO?

There is GAC, but no GFO. Salifert tested 0 for copper last time I checked, but might be worth checking again.

Most of my softies and LPS are great. Frogspawn and torch look happy, yellow hammer has split from just barely 2 heads to 5 in the last 6 months, my duncan has easily added 10 heads and gone from struggling, retracted pale colony in my office tank to a nice green and pink flowing monster. My montis are trending toward washed out and pale, but I attribute that more to a nitrate and phosphate issue (25 and 0.2) that's come up in the last 3-4 weeks or so since I banished my soccerball sized xenia colony. Things are slowly coming down. I've lost a couple of acro frags that fell over into the sand repeatedly over a few days, and just gave up. Maybe they would have recovered without the stray current.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both pumps will last a long time.
pros to tunze
-Easier to position to an area
-run dry protection
-slightly smaller foot print
-quieter

korralia
-easier to take apart and clean.

having used both brands my impressions

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If $'s are an issue get 2 jebao ow-25's.
If not get 2 tunze 6095's.
I run 2 of each on my 120.
The difference is:
2 Tunze for $450,
2 Jebao for $150.
You can always turn the flow down if needed.
All 4 powerheads in my 120 are at 100% and set on pulse mode.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tunze nanostreams, but they are the only wave makers I’ve ever had, so I don’t know how they compare to others.
Edit: my tunze are completely silent, they were easy to set up, and they have been running perfectly for a couple months now. I would definitely get the tunze if I were you.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll pick up a pair of 6025s then. My LFS has them. The controllable versions are out of reach since I need them quickly, but it's property tax, income tax and vacation planning season.

Jebao is out for geo-political reasons. I won't directly support Chinese manufacturers when given other clear options.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back