Group of peppermint shrimps for Aiptasia - Future SPS tank

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a copperband that was truly keeping the aiptasia under control. There were two big ones, that out of laziness/location of them, I didn't manually kill. Pretty sure the copperband kept up with any babies that spawned because as soon as I lost it, aiptasia has been popping up.

I tried a second copperband after having the first for 6 months, but it didn’t do well and didn’t last long. So I bought a matted filefish. I had it for a few weeks now and have not noticed any little aiptasias disappearing. I know it is not guaranteed as well as it can take some time for them to get a taste for them. I don’t think I can try berghias because I have a few wrasse in there including a yellow coris.

I am thinking about getting a pack of peppermints for my 6ft tank. I have 3-4 in my sump that wiped out my aiptasia population in the sump. I was thinking of getting 6-8 of them from algaebarn. Anyone who has done this, did you leave them all in after the aiptasia was under control or take them out?

Anyone who has beautiful SPS dominant tanks like the ones on Reef of the Month posts manage aiptasia with peppermints?

Should I try a copperband again for the last time? If so, any way on helping them survive in a tank with some tangs and not be so stressed?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I had a copperband that was truly keeping the aiptasia under control. There were two big ones, that out of laziness/location of them, I didn't manually kill. Pretty sure the copperband kept up with any babies that spawned because as soon as I lost it, aiptasia has been popping up.

I tried a second copperband after having the first for 6 months, but it didn’t do well and didn’t last long. So I bought a matted filefish. I had it for a few weeks now and have not noticed any little aiptasias disappearing. I know it is not guaranteed as well as it can take some time for them to get a taste for them. I don’t think I can try berghias because I have a few wrasse in there including a yellow coris.

I am thinking about getting a pack of peppermints for my 6ft tank. I have 3-4 in my sump that wiped out my aiptasia population in the sump. I was thinking of getting 6-8 of them from algaebarn. Anyone who has done this, did you leave them all in after the aiptasia was under control or take them out?

Anyone who has beautiful SPS dominant tanks like the ones on Reef of the Month posts manage aiptasia with peppermints?

Should I try a copperband again for the last time? If so, any way on helping them survive in a tank with some tangs and not be so stressed?
I had a copperbanded who did great but died after the aiptasia was gone he died. I know they are a hard fish to keep so not sure if good to get another.
I also have peppermint shrimp and they seem to do great on the little ones but not good on larger.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had to control aiptasia in years, but when I did, I used peppermint shrimp. You need to get a bunch because they won't always eat the aiptasia, and make sure you're purchasing the correct type.

If I had to do it today, I'd probably do both - get a butterfly and a ton of peppermint shrimp (because aiptasia sucks).

Try reaching out to Reeftopia to see if they can source peppermint shrimp for you. I'd get at least a dozen or two (again, because aiptasia sucks).

Additionally, there's no reason why you can't leave the peppermint shrimp in the tank after the fact. I certainly did, and you should to ensure the aiptasia are eradicated.

Lastly, while I have not tried berghias, assuming you cannot keep them due to the wrasses, I'd be inclined to re-home the wrasses. I would not want to chance having an aiptasia outbreak when the tank finally hits its stride. You may want to double check on the wrasse and berghia compatibility, as I've never tried it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back