Grow Cheato consistantly in the refugium

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this guy from Amazon. I placed it along the back wall of my Fuge section in my sump. My Chaeto grows like mad, I have to harvest it every 2-4 weeks or it plugs my sump up. For $20, I’m incredibly happy with it.
F463AFC2-2C6D-4225-9DF5-80AF08CBDE03.jpeg

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this guy from Amazon. I placed it along the back wall of my Fuge section in my sump. My Chaeto grows like mad, I have to harvest it every 2-4 weeks or it plugs my sump up. For $20, I’m incredibly happy with it.
F463AFC2-2C6D-4225-9DF5-80AF08CBDE03.jpeg
Thanks for responding

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We get lots of people happy with their AI Fuge and Kessil (H160 and H380) purchase. We only sell those varieties because they come UL/ETL approved.

reefs+waves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some options depending on fuge size: Home Depot clamp light with simple 5000-6500k bulb, cost probably 15-20$, ufo grow light off eBay, par 38 grow bulb, or if you want to spend a lot for a fancy one a Kessil or AI prime grow light.

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some options depending on fuge size: Home Depot clamp light with simple 5000-6500k bulb, cost probably 15-20$, ufo grow light off eBay, par 38 grow bulb, or if you want to spend a lot for a fancy one a Kessil or AI prime grow light.
I have one of the cheaper grow lights from amazon per a recommendation on the forum but it doesn't seem to work for me.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kessil H80 over a small fuge in each of two tanks, and the chaeto grows very well; I pull a softball size chunk out twice a week.
But I have found that sometimes chaeto just won't establish itself properly when first introduced, even with adequate light.
It'll just not grow or even start to lyse (turn white and fragment.) When that would happen, I would pull it all out and start with a new batch.
It seems that what really got them going consistently was addition of iron and trace elements.
I don't use the Triton method per se, but what works for me isn't that different from their approach.

IMG_6551b.jpg

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kessil H80 over a small fuge in each of two tanks, and the chaeto grows very well; I pull a softball size chunk out twice a week.
But I have found that sometimes chaeto just won't establish itself properly when first introduced, even with adequate light.
It'll just not grow or even start to lyse (turn white and fragment.) When that would happen, I would pull it all out and start with a new batch.
It seems that what really got them going consistently was addition of iron and trace elements.
I don't use the Triton method per se, but what works for me isn't that different from their approach.

IMG_6551b.jpg
Thanks for the info, i've just been looking at that light.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil H80. I've had success with other lights (grow lights from Home Depot), but the H80 is unbelievable. I have sooo much chaeto now.

Anyone need any?

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil H80. I've had success with other lights (grow lights from Home Depot), but the H80 is unbelievable. I have sooo much chaeto now.

Anyone need any?
Thanks for the info. I usually buy some 3-4 times a yr because it either dies or gets filled up with Bristle worms, when my nutrients start going back up I dump it & start with new again. Just got some from LA so don't need it right now.

Jesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyone need any?
Please send me some I'll pay you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use simple Marineland blue LED on my cube tank and chaeto out of control

reefmutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used t5 and or Home Depot white led strips. I used to use the older twisted compact fluorescent bulbs.. even used mh a couple times.. currently, I’m using a pair of the waterproof Tunze fuge lights. They are full spectrum. Red/green/blue and white leds..I use them because when/if there is a power failure they can be submerged without issues..
I find that the health and growth of cheato is more dependant on it getting adequate amounts of iron, iodine, potassium, and other trace like zinc and manganese...and of course ulns will have trouble growing cheato as well.. proper light will play a role but without the proper nutrients and trace in the water, the stuff just will not grow.
Over the years, I have found that -most of the time, it only grows consistently and long term with trace element dosing. This will not be everyone’s experience but I think it is most often the case. If your cheato suddenly stalls, I think the first course of action should be to supplement it with proper trace rather than change the light.. but again, I’m sure some will say that as soon as they changed from one light to another, their cheato took off.. but for how long...
It’s also been my experience, in one system, that the cheato would grow extremely well but if cyano began to appear and then thrive, the cheato would suddenly stop but with a dose of cyano killer, the cheato would rebound soon after a treatment.. this also leads me to believe its nutrient and trace that are really key..
Sorry for the novel.. been using cheato fuges in my reefs for decades.

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used t5 and or Home Depot white led strips. I used to use the older twisted compact fluorescent bulbs.. even used mh a couple times.. currently, I’m using a pair of the waterproof Tunze fuge lights. They are full spectrum. Red/green/blue and white leds..I use them because when/if there is a power failure they can be submerged without issues..
I find that the health and growth of cheato is more dependant on it getting adequate amounts of iron, iodine, potassium, and other trace like zinc and manganese...and of course ulns will have trouble growing cheato as well.. proper light will play a role but without the proper nutrients and trace in the water, the stuff just will not grow.
Over the years, I have found that -most of the time, it only grows consistently and long term with trace element dosing. This will not be everyone’s experience but I think it is most often the case. If your cheato suddenly stalls, I think the first course of action should be to supplement it with proper trace rather than change the light.. but again, I’m sure some will say that as soon as they changed from one light to another, their cheato took off.. but for how long...
It’s also been my experience, in one system, that the cheato would grow extremely well but if cyano began to appear and then thrive, the cheato would suddenly stop but with a dose of cyano killer, the cheato would rebound soon after a treatment.. this also leads me to believe its nutrient and trace that are really key..
Sorry for the novel.. been using cheato fuges in my reefs for decades.
The more info we have the better. Thanks

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back