Growing Chaeto Outside of Refugium

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of growing Chaeto outside the refugium, so that I can always have a fresh supply and as well share with others if needed. I'm going to need a dose of Nitrates and Phosphates to keep it going, so my thoughts were to purchase some Brightwell NeoPhos and NeoNitro along with some Chateogro. Then it dawn on me to maybe I can use the water from my freshwater tank, and make salt water from it - the FW tank is high in nitrate and phosphate, so it'll supply the Chaeto nicely.

Just reaching out here to see if anyone has any thoughts to the above.

Thanks

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of growing Chaeto outside the refugium, so that I can always have a fresh supply and as well share with others if needed. I'm going to need a dose of Nitrates and Phosphates to keep it going, so my thoughts were to purchase some Brightwell NeoPhos and NeoNitro along with some Chateogro. Then it dawn on me to maybe I can use the water from my freshwater tank, and make salt water from it - the FW tank is high in nitrate and phosphate, so it'll supply the Chaeto nicely.

Just reaching out here to see if anyone has any thoughts to the above.

Thanks
I'm sure someone else probably has a better answer than this but how will the salt react to the freshwater bacteria?

I'm not sure if it would cause any problems or just kill it all off. Chaeto is super hardy though so maybe it would be fine.

Stefanfr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not mix up some fresh saltwater and just dose water from your freshwater tank? should be the same as dosing "Brightwell NeoPhos and NeoNitro along with some Chateogro" The ratio's are probably lower but filling an ATO with tank water can solve that issue. No need for a dosingpump either.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy in Miami too that grows it in a kiddie pool outside in the sun on his porch and all he does is have a powerhead that circulates the water and adds fertilizer of some sort (can’t remember ) and grows it by the ton.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back