Growing copepods and their needs

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a little 7 gallon cube with a good Fluval light in hopes of growing another copepod colony in our garage. I‘m culturing phyto to feed them. Do I need to filter this water? I was going to use an air stone. I was hoping to give them chaeto to live in but wouldn’t that need filtration? Any tips for me?

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 20gal during the last petco sale in the intentions of making a pod tank. I cultivate my own phytoplankton as well. Will have about 1" on sand and rock rubble on the bottom. Medium sponge filter and a 1/2 cup of chaeto. Just need to build the stand for it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used a filter on my copapod culture. Just a slow air pump and a small live rock. I also used bottle/dead phyto and the occasion pinch of reef roids and the pods did just fine

Lukey2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is one of my first posts on R2R. I have a 10gal little tank that in using for breeding copepods. There are THOUSANDS of them in there at the moment. The problem I have is that they all seem to just spend the whole time stuck to the glass. So I'm just wondering if I could get some suggestions on how to get them from the little tank to my display?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is one of my first posts on R2R. I have a 10gal little tank that in using for breeding copepods. There are THOUSANDS of them in there at the moment. The problem I have is that they all seem to just spend the whole time stuck to the glass. So I'm just wondering if I could get some suggestions on how to get them from the little tank to my display?
YouTube has several good videos on harvesting pods; might check there

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might see a ton on the glass but I bet if you strained some of the water through a coffee filter you'd have lots of pods in there. Then just dip the coffee filter into your main tank

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back