Growing corals successfully is as easy as 1, 2 and 3!

The main key to growing corals successfully is proper levels & stability of Cal, Alk & Mag.

• True

Votes: 461 60.5%
  • False

Votes: 41 5.4%
  • More to it (please post in the thread)

Votes: 260 34.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Growing corals successfully is as easy as 1, 2 and 3 or Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium. Get these BIG three in order and stable and you can grow any thing you want to grow!

Over the years I've struggled with certain corals that others have had high success rates with. Only when I achieved proper and stable levels of Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium was I able to be successful. STABILITY IS THE KEY!! I've found that corals will somewhat adapt to flow, lighting conditions etc. but not these big 3 elements.

Can you agree with this assessment and what would you add?

Untitled-1.jpg

image via @Broadfield

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water movement, light, water... in that order. At least that’s my experience. Corals can grow in less than ideal water. Case in point, most everyone has “different” water. Every tank is different, right?

But water movement and light are crucial.

W.Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, Revhtree

Yes that is the key. I test the water all the time about every 3 to 4 days. try to keep it spot on .
lots of keys in this hobby and the next key is lights :)
And flow..the next key..

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes but you also need good flow and lighting.

Yes of course but I feel like corals can adapt to lighting and flow better than the big three. You agree?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought of successful reefing as a priority list:
  1. Water Quality (aka stability)
  2. Quality Lighting (correct PAR/spectrum)
  3. Flow (appropriate for inhabitants while helping remove unwanted organics from the aquarium)
  4. Food (not just for fish, but are the corals getting the correct nutrition)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water quality light flow and food. Water is the most important followed by light and flow. But your right rev. Water and coral will adapt better to flow and light.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think alkalinity is important - Ca and Mg much less so. Mainly because very little affects Mg - so once its there its likely to stay there with Occasional supplements. I think proper flow and lighting are more important than whether Mg is 1200 or 1300.

PS. Yes - Coral can adapt to flow and lighting - as well as to low or high 'big 3' within reason for all:)

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability, water parameters within an acceptable range, sufficient lighting, nutrients, flow and temperature.

Get any one of these things out of wack and you’ll have trouble keeping coral. The most common one I see is a lack of nutrients. This isn’t necessarily about not having nitrates. This is not having enough any food source circulating around inside the tank. If a tank has detectable nitrates, odds are there is a sufficient amount of aminos, lipids and other scrumptious stuff in the water as well. A rapid drop in nitrates from detectable to non detectable coupled with normal or decreased feeding (not adding more fish food or reef roids/fuel) will cause major issues. DO NOT skimp on feeding your critters and if nuisance algae is a concern, you can always increase your water change frequency (smaller amounts won’t affect stability too much), doing them before feeding time or add a refugium or a biopellet reactor/other carbon source + protein skimmer to your system.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby under 2 years but from the countless YouTube videos and threads I have read through my conclusions are stability is the most important. Some people run high DKH some run higher ph some run low cal and mag. When their tanks are consistent they all seem to say they have good success.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience corals can adapt to small changes in your water, nothing drastic, but small changes or swings. Corals can't live without light or flow to bring them nutrients. In the end, I think they are all just as important as the other.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought of successful reefing as a priority list:
  1. Water Quality (aka stability)
  2. Quality Lighting (correct PAR/spectrum)
  3. Flow (appropriate for inhabitants while helping remove unwanted organics from the aquarium)
  4. Food (not just for fish, but are the corals getting the correct nutrition)

I would agree with this.

As a proviso, I would add that for bullet proof corals, getting close most of the time is fine.

For more sensitive corals, it seems that you have to hit the sweet spot or awfully close. If you do, they flourish. If you don’t, they languish and die.

And there is a whole spectrum of corals in between the extremes.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that your corals will all die without a controller. LOL! Just kidding!

I think it comes down to three things and this is not particular order because they are equal in my book:

Water flow
lighting
water quality

I also think folks chase numbers way too much. Be it PAR, Alk, Cal, Mag, Phosphates, NO3, etc. Everyone seems so bent on wrestling the numbers into shape they lose sight of the real goal. ENJOY THE HOBBY!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certain there is more to it!! I have had the "big 3" very stable for a year (verified by multiple ICP tests, Hanna checkers, etc.). I am seeing success with most of my corals, BUT the growth has been very slow and ~20% - 30% have died. Coloration on the remaining corals is less than spectacular. I recently rented a PAR meter from BRS and tuned my T5/LED combo lights to the right level (~350 PAR at the surface). I was not too far off on my light settings, so I don't expect a huge change. My flow is cranked up pretty high. I do weekly 20% water changes.

P.S. I spot feed my corals a combination phytoplankton, zooplankton, mysis, Rod's food, flake food and Tropic Marin pellets (I mix it up, spot feeding 3-4 times a week). I also dose Red Sea Coral Colors A/B/C/D.

Soooo so I'm not sure what else to do, but there must be something other than the big 3.

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but stability to me is more than just those 3 elements in the water. They are super critical, no doubt, but stability with lighting and flow are also critical while providing enough other nutrition in the water too. Yes, many can adapt easier to some flow or lighting conditions, but get flow or lighting wrong and I'm certain you will have dead corals too. Perhaps it is just that lighting and flow are easier to make stable for the most part and a bit better understood than some of the reef chemistry.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liebig's Law of the Minimum states photosynthesis is limited by the least available nutrient and not by the most abundant. Alkalinity acts as the carbon source for photosynthesis (due to the fact that CO2 is often not sufficient. Calcium and magnesium concentrations can fall below 'natural' levels without serious impact on either photosynthesis or skeletal growth. With that said, low water motion can create stagnant water layers around the coral and gradients can exist where elements critical to photosynthesis (iron, copper, manganese) are limiting. IMHO, these are the most critical (in descending order): Water motion, lighting, water chemistry. But if any of these are out of whack, you'll have problems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back