Growing green water and bugs

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been talking to the Garf Grunge lady witch has been a great experience. The grunge and bugs she has is amazing if anyone is looking for biodiversity. Her bug tanks are outside without any electricity. So here goes my first attempt at outside growing bugs and green water. If anyone has tips please guide me along the way.

Day one of this experiment. I did a five gallon water change on my 120 gallon mixed reef. I siphoned the bottom of the roller mat filter housing and took a hand full of macros put it outside in a ten gallon tank. All I’m going to do is keep salinity. No heater, chiller, power heads or air bubbler.
image.jpg
image.jpg

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been think of doing the same for a while now, but gets pretty hot here in FL. Interested to see how this turns out.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been think of doing the same for a while now, but gets pretty hot here in FL. Interested to see how this turns out.
It’s spring time here in Minnesota and things are just starting to grow outside really good. I have the tank in the sun now but will move it if it gets too hot. Probably don’t want much more than 84 degrees?

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's someone close to me that has an outdoor chaeto vat and his growth is ridiculous. But he has water flow. Not sure of any other specifics, going to reach out to him and try to get more info.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s spring time here in Minnesota and things are just starting to grow outside really good. I have the tank in the sun now but will move it if it gets too hot. Probably don’t want much more than 84 degrees?
Where are you at in MN?? I am down in Brownsdale...

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's someone close to me that has an outdoor chaeto vat and his growth is ridiculous. But he has water flow. Not sure of any other specifics, going to reach out to him and try to get more info.
My refugium grows Cheato and bugs very fast. I’m more interested in the green water than growing more Cheato.
8EA153ED-2B38-4E76-8B54-5C61F2DE18DC.jpeg
DFA0D366-5208-46BB-BDEB-1155F9E58450.jpeg

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we had some cold weather and 3 inches of rain no sunlight for two days. The tank didn’t get any rain water but the temperature here did go down to the low 40’s. I’m looking at now and bugs, one hermit crab and snails are alive but moving very slow. The water is still clear no green water yet. Maybe the macros are filtering too much? I’m probably going to swap the macros for a sponge.
image.jpg

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update May 20th I took 2 liters off the top of my DT and put it next to my first experiment. The Chaeto, hermit crab and snails seem ok, I’m not seeing much for pods but I do see some. The water in the ten gallon tank still looks clear. The two liter is turning color and I took some microscope pictures and it’s alive with some very fast moving tiny specks. I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking at but it doesn’t look like Dino to me?
E95BFEE9-8C29-4866-BACF-7EE7083C529A.jpeg
1C9586D9-9E11-470C-9779-145D658C311F.jpeg
ACE9A0E6-6CC7-49B8-9BCB-69E286090E98.jpeg

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if I should just dump the two liter back into DT and pull out the same weekly?

Does the water from your DT contain NO3 / PO4? Perhaps adding a little fertilizer will help to jumpstart the culture. We both have similar experiments running, & while my outdoor cultures have not developed, the indoor phyto is doing very well. I'm using a 2:1 saltwater to phyto concentrate solution & letting it develop for 7 days until I have 1/2 gallon to move outdoors.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the water from your DT contain NO3 / PO4? Perhaps adding a little fertilizer will help to jumpstart the culture. We both have similar experiments running, & while my outdoor cultures have not developed, the indoor phyto is doing very well. I'm using a 2:1 saltwater to phyto concentrate solution & letting it develop for 7 days until I have 1/2 gallon to move outdoors.
Yeah my DT has lots of nutrients. I haven’t added anything to my experiments. It’s just tank water out in the sun. How green does it need to be?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't imagine the temp swings here are going to be very helpful for this.

Back