Growing mangroves in sump area as nutrient export? Good idea?

ryanhark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 20 gallon long sump with a refugium and was interested in growing mangroves as a nutrient export... I would imagine it would work just like any other macroalgae. I have live rock in the refugium and would plant the mangroves there. I was thinking a clip on shop light with a grow bulb or the cannagrow led 100 watt and cycle that light on at night when tank lights are off.

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated mangrove tank been running for about 6 months. Not so much help on nutrients currently, but I’m sure it helps. My goal was mangrove mud, deep sand bed, trying to create tidal zone. Not sure how well a 100w clip on will work. Running 2 gen4 xr30 over a 2x4 frag tank at 14k. They have grown very tall as well over 2’. Anything is worth a try especially if it peaks your interest. Watch your nitrate phosphate and be patient. Source quality mangroves as well. I had trouble with different online retailers. Best if they have rooted in saltwater and not soil(dry land)

Upvote 0

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea how or why mangroves caught in in the aquarium trade....

Unless you have a 20ftx20ft stand they are gonna out grow it very quickly and do not function as a good exporter of nutrients as cheato and gha. Makes no sense....

seriously , think about it, it’s a freakin tree growing under your tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ryanhark

ryanhark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless you have a 20ftx20ft stand they are gonna out grow it very quickly and do not function as a good exporter of nutrients as cheato and gha. Makes no sense....

Good point sir! I do like the look and if i could plant them up in the display i would...That's why i was reaching to do this.....just for the look but i also thought it might be beneficial with algae reduction.

Upvote 0

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mangroves are actually relatively slow growers for trees. Most of the display quality mangrove aquariums that you see on here have trees that are 3-4+ years old, and still only ~3 feet tall. People will often employ bonsai style techniques to trim and train branches to keep the trees shorter and bushier, one of the best mangrove growers Giga was an experienced bonsai grower. Bonsai growers will keep pine trees for hundreds of years that are only a foot tall. You definitely don't need a 20'x20' tank, 20"x20" would work fine.

giga1.jpg

giga2.jpg

However, to the OP, I wouldn't personally put a mangrove in a sump under a tank, they will eventually outgrow that space. I would consider putting it in a display sump, but I agree that various types of fast growing macroalgae are easier to use for nutrient export, as they require less space and less strong lighting, and it's easy to just pull out a ball of chaeto every few weeks. I think a larger tree can probably help with nutrient export after a few years.

Here are some cool display sumps that use mangroves as a centerpiece:

Ewelch https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/micro-mangrove-build.331951/
ewelch.jpg

Rmchoi: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rc40g-mangrove-refugium.494597/
rmchoi.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find lightning them effectively difficult. You need the light above them but spillage can lead to algae growth in chambers of your sump (especially the skimmer) you don’t want. I do have a couple in my sump but I mostly rely on the chaeto the trees are mostly an experiment.

Upvote 0

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought mangroves wold remove much nutrients. I got 4 pods because I like the look of the trees. I was surprised how quickly the grew once they sprouted leaves. That tells me they are using more nutrients then I expected. Here is my Mangrove Lagoon

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back