"growing out" fish with plans to rehome. . . how do you feel about this?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes a fish just pops up and it’s been a minute or just rare, so…..yeah, why not. Kinda foolish to spend considerable $ without future plans. I think Most hobbyists do have their animals best interests in mind.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see absolutely no problem with it. I also believe that tank size is meant to be used as a guide/recommendation and is not set in stone. Our tanks will never be the ocean even the biggest tanks won’t be the ocean and most people don’t have public aquarium sized tanks in their homes. I prefer to take a wait and see approach especially since most fish will never reach their full natural size in a home aquarium as a lot of factors contribute. And personally I think if the fish is healthy, eating, not pacing, can turn fully with room, aggressive/being bullied, and is not sitting in the corner all day that’s a happy fish in it’s environment and is perfectly okay to keep there until it says otherwise.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's true I see no problem with it. But most of the time I don't believe the posters. Especially new ones who have no idea what they are getting into. Some salty old guy with 30 years under hi.? I believe that guy.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts...

I happen to like to keep my fish from juvenile through adulthood. Now this goes for my large 210g system. It also applies to almost all my fish. However, if a problem occurs, I will catch and re-home.
Now, my 6g traveling tank has a clown (or 2) in it. I always get a tiny baby clowns and after 2 years (or when about 2") it is moved to another system or given away. This is because for the programs I run, they love seeing a clown in the tank. It is familiar.

As far as others growing out fish, I see it as kind of a tank conditioning type of situation. Many facilities will sell tank conditioned fish. They catch young and grow a bit to get used to aquarium life, then sell them. Nothing wrong with that.
As a hobbyist, as long as you do find the right homes and treat the animal well (provide it with a thriving environment), I see no issues.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a Vlamingii tang to my 300g. After I got him in there, I found out that he can grow to exceed 2 feet in length and my 300 is a little small for him when full grown. Yell at me please, I usually do the leg work BEFORE purchase, but he is so pretty.... anyways I live about 10 minutes from the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium in Omaha Nebraska, so I figure when/if he out grows my tank, I'll donate him to the Zoo.

Generally speaking, I do not Grow out to Rehome fish, I am not a fan of putting fish in a cage too small for them, but in my Haste to have a pretty fish I did what I normally would never do......

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back