Growing Pains from a First Reef Build - 55g

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes that a rollercoaster update. Not sure if I should like, love, or sad face it.

First off congratulations and what an experience to tie the knot in style :cool:

That's so cool that u design maps for video games. Looks like an old god of war quick map. Sweet gig.

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes that a rollercoaster update. Not sure if I should like, love, or sad face it.

First off congratulations and what an experience to tie the knot in style :cool:

That's so cool that u design maps for video games. Looks like an old god of war quick map. Sweet gig.

Yea, it was definitely a lot packed into one. It was just a bit odd, where week by week not enough was going on to be worth an update, so I kept putting it off.

Definitely excited for the knot tying - we'll be able to tell everyone how we had our "love in the time of COVID" now :D . Everyone'll be super jealous, I'm sure.

The gaming/mapping stuff I'm doing is for a tabletop RPG group I'm running, not video games. Similar concepts in the design, though, and I do love me some God of War. Still have to play through the 4th, I got it not too long ago since it was on sale as a greatest hits thing. World building is really fun, though, and I missed it a lot for sure.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it was definitely a lot packed into one. It was just a bit odd, where week by week not enough was going on to be worth an update, so I kept putting it off.

Definitely excited for the knot tying - we'll be able to tell everyone how we had our "love in the time of COVID" now :D . Everyone'll be super jealous, I'm sure.

The gaming/mapping stuff I'm doing is for a tabletop RPG group I'm running, not video games. Similar concepts in the design, though, and I do love me some God of War. Still have to play through the 4th, I got it not too long ago since it was on sale as a greatest hits thing. World building is really fun, though, and I missed it a lot for sure.
@Raege Is a table top strategy game conniseur. He has a shelf that's about 6ft x 12ftx long stuffed with games that I have never seen. You guys should link up.

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish geek euro game geek used to tabletop rpg now my sons taken that geek crown. I’m not to deep in euros only have about 300.......
Awesome! What's your fave? Also, yes, more are needed.

source.gif

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! What's your fave? Also, yes, more are needed.

source.gif
Favs are hard to pick kinda like kids all are special lol. Partial to area control for a mechanic but like all types. Current favs Id never turn down on a game night are Container,El Grande, Scythe,Concordia, Merlin, Historia, Yokohama, and Power Grid, used to do a lot of D&D but that crew moved away and darn kid Wong let me join in with his crew lol,

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking in; it has indeed been a very long time, right? Mostly there's not a whole lot to tell, as it's all status quo for the most part.

The past few months

Forgive me reefers, for I have sinned, it has been... more than 3 months since my last update post. There has been a LOT going on in life lately, so I haven't had a chance to really get new things in or change, so haven't had a huge amount to say. That said, I've made a point to not neglect the tank, keeping up with water changes, testing, cleaning, etc., and things have been growing well, plus everything's healthy.

I've had some major life changes in the last couple months, and coupled with COVID quarantine, the tank hasn't gotten anything new, but everyone's doing great!

Maintenance and Livestock

All the fishies (clown, goby, cardinal, chromis, and wrasse) are doing great and getting along fine. I've been wanting to sink more $$ into getting some more new things, but I did pick up a new mushroom and goni over the last couple months from my holiday gift card.

We'll start off with the obligatory FTS:

20200401_095455.jpg

Good morning, fishies!!

20200331_142339.jpg

The mushroom was being weird and moving onto the frag rack, so I'm hoping it'll move over to the rocks now. Not certain where I'll put the goni atm, but its very happy on the rack. Basically these fellas are the result of my holiday gift card.

My leathers, zoas, and hammer are all doing GREAT. My pink leather even fragged itself and is now all over the place!

20200331_142125.jpg

The main "new" leather branch is right by the OG

20200331_142349.jpg

A couple other leather branches settled right by the hammer, as well.

20200331_142137.jpg

I always like seeing the leather's "fuzzies"

20200331_142141.jpg

Hi Leonard!

20200401_095505.jpg

Eagle Eyes are doing well, but I accidentally killed off some of the colony when I was injecting some aiptasia.

20200401_095515.jpg

Still haven't been able to get the GSP to expand at all, but it looks good, at least.

20200331_142422.jpg

Just this past weekend (3/28), I scrubbed out the fuge. Did the overflow, as well.

The stupid vermatids are still out en force, and I can't find bumblebees for the life of me.

The Personal Stuffs

As with most folks, it's been a crazy few months personally, as well. The biggest change has been that I started a new job back in late January. It's been pretty amazing, an industry job with more money, better people, an easier schedule, the works. I'm settled in reasonably well, but still dealing with the transition wasn't exactly easy. Part of why I haven't been focused much on the tank lately.

Part of having the better schedule with work has meant that I've been able to dedicate time to some of my other hobbies, namely gaming. I'm excited to be starting up with a new group this weekend. I hope it goes well.

We're all stuck in quarantine for COVID, as well. It's scary. Thankfully, my work is designed around remote access and functionality, so that still happens, and I'm still able to make good progress on my projects. Having remote schoolwork for a kiddo isn't ideal, though, and that's been driving EVERYONE in the house up the wall. Not to mention we're all in relatively more vulnerable groups (bad lungs, etc.), so my weekly shopping trips are more stressful than usual. Not to mention we have trouble getting basic supplies, as most people have.

IMG-20200328-WA0003.jpg

Working on gaming mapping. Fun times

20200331_112526.jpg

Me over here baking bread like I'm some kind of caveman. Stupid stores with no bread. Fresh bread is delicious and easy, though. Highly recommend.

On a fun/happier note, though, I was set to get married this past Friday, the 27th. Just a courthouse ceremony, but I was going to get to see my family and all that good stuff, not to mention being awesome in general. Sadly, COVID stopped those plans, so we had to cancel. We were luckier than most, as we didn't put down any deposits for venues, flowers, etc., but it was still sad to not see my family. As it happens, though, the proprietor of my LFS happens to be a registered minister, so rather than waste the license, he was happy to sign off for us to get our paperwork through, and we'll be able to have a ceremony when this is all over.

At the very least, we'll definitely have a unique story of how we got hitched :D

IMG-20200320-WA0001.jpg

I wore my official fishie shirt for the occasion. Because fishie store.

Be safe everyone, and happy reefing!
You have been active @Blutspitze !

Tank is looking good, I do not know a reefer who has not killed coral heads due to fat fingers.:p

Sorry to hear your wedding got postponed, COVID-19 is changing everyone’s life I guess.

Great to have you back.

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favs are hard to pick kinda like kids all are special lol. Partial to area control for a mechanic but like all types. Current favs Id never turn down on a game night are Container,El Grande, Scythe,Concordia, Merlin, Historia, Yokohama, and Power Grid, used to do a lot of D&D but that crew moved away and darn kid Wong let me join in with his crew lol,

Very cool! I'm more about the intrigue/negotiation type games, but love me some complex Euros, heavy strategy (i.e. most of GMT) and the like as well. Not into the miniatures craze though. Not my thing. I'd love to get some folks to play Powergrid with, but most people I host for game nights are strictly about simpler stuff, while at my FLGS nights it's mostly the newest and best. Still fun regardless, though.

You have been active @Blutspitze !

Tank is looking good, I do not know a reefer who has not killed coral heads due to fat fingers.:p

Sorry to hear your wedding got postponed, COVID-19 is changing everyone’s life I guess.

Great to have you back.

Thanks very much! As you know, I've still been on the forums and the like, but not being able to take awesome pics of my tank makes me less wanting to do updates :p . As with anything reefing, I'm happy to be keeping a solid status quo and balance. It's also either the best or worst time to buy new livestock with COVID-19, depending on your opinion :D . My home workstation is far removed from my tank, so doesn't help with regard to me appreciating it, unfortunately.

We'll be fine with the wedding, as I said we certainly didn't lose nearly as much as some other folks, and we got a great story out of it, being wed inside a fish shop during a pandemic :D

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the best attitudes I have seen in this crisis man! kudos to you!
Haha thanks very much! At this point there's not much choice, though - we can either complain about the situation or deal with it as best as we're able. It's not easy regardless, but but at minimum we don't have to actively make it more difficult on ourselves.

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling like a bad fish parent

As you all know if you've been seeing my stuff the last few months, I've not been progressing forward with the tank too much. Between that and the COVID-19 issue, I'm only doing maintenance and status quo - weekly water changes, sump scraping every couple weeks, trying to remove bad algae from the DT, aiptasia injections with CaOH, etc. Certainly things haven't been truly BAD, but it's unfortunate that I haven't been able to do anything "real" in regards to progression - no new livestock, unable to upgrade equipment, all that stuff.

Anyone else get that feeling? It's a bit aggravating and I'm not sure what to do.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebs and flows of balancing something as demanding as a reef is one thing, but we are all feeling the effects on some level with the pandemic. I have found peace and sovereignty in the husbandry. Instead of a chore. Dont sweat piling on time to browse and update here. We arent going anywhere :)

Hang in there.

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebs and flows of balancing something as demanding as a reef is one thing, but we are all feeling the effects on some level with the pandemic. I have found peace and sovereignty in the husbandry. Instead of a chore. Dont sweat piling on time to browse and update here. We arent going anywhere :)

Hang in there.
Thanks, Rich; much appreciated. Part of what sucks is that, while I am working at home, my office/workspace is away from my tank. I think seeing it more would help me appreciate the process and calm it offers. Maybe someday I'll get a nano in my office or the like, as well :D

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Rich; much appreciated. Part of what sucks is that, while I am working at home, my office/workspace is away from my tank. I think seeing it more would help me appreciate the process and calm it offers. Maybe someday I'll get a nano in my office or the like, as well :D
Then you will definitely get less work done! Ha!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling like a bad fish parent

As you all know if you've been seeing my stuff the last few months, I've not been progressing forward with the tank too much. Between that and the COVID-19 issue, I'm only doing maintenance and status quo - weekly water changes, sump scraping every couple weeks, trying to remove bad algae from the DT, aiptasia injections with CaOH, etc. Certainly things haven't been truly BAD, but it's unfortunate that I haven't been able to do anything "real" in regards to progression - no new livestock, unable to upgrade equipment, all that stuff.

Anyone else get that feeling? It's a bit aggravating and I'm not sure what to do.
Your not alone my friend. My tanks coming up on two years old and just recently hitting stride again. Life mood self doubt lots of things that get in the way of progressing to where we would like the tank to be.
When I got the blues leaned on reefing friends took care of life family me then the tank in the end. I realized I don’t care about the date the tank turns into my minds eye version. Just gonna enjoy small victories fish are healthy good enough.
You will find the rhythm that fits you and tank look for the small things enjoy them each time you look at the tank.
Stay Salty

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not alone my friend. My tanks coming up on two years old and just recently hitting stride again. Life mood self doubt lots of things that get in the way of progressing to where we would like the tank to be.
When I got the blues leaned on reefing friends took care of life family me then the tank in the end. I realized I don’t care about the date the tank turns into my minds eye version. Just gonna enjoy small victories fish are healthy good enough.
You will find the rhythm that fits you and tank look for the small things enjoy them each time you look at the tank.
Stay Salty
Thanks very much; appreciate the words of encouragement. Good to hear it's not just me, not to mention I'm still glad that I'm still "in it" enough to do the needed basic maintenance and keep the fish healthy and fed, etc... Not outright neglecting the tank is at least some semblance of victory :)

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real Life is Calling, Gotta Answer!

It's been another relatively uneventful few weeks for the tank. I'm having to do more in the way of cleaning than I'd like, though - my DT has been getting a lot of GHA, even with the fuge light on 24/7. Aiptasia is also still around, though I'm doing the regular CaOH injections. I'll be checking some of the online sources again soon for some of the slugs.

I've been very busy with some real life stuff, as well. The pandemic has provided some unique opportunities for my work, though it means a bit of a tedious slog. I've also been fortunate enough to have gotten some workout equipment, as well. Not being able to get to the gym has been interesting. I hate working out, but understand the need to for health reasons, so I'd always do so begrudgingly. This'll put me in a position where I can work at home more permanently, as well, even after we start getting back to normal, saving me hours every day on commute time. Since I've sunk a substantial amount of money into the workout equipment, I won't be doing much with the tank anytime soon, except maybe getting some snails to deal with GHA and try to get rid of the Aiptasia.

The best news, though, is that my reef in Animal Crossing is looking great :D

20200514_095421.jpg

OP
OP
Blutspitze

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia, meet Berghia! Also, need some leather advice.

It's the battle of the century! The battle of the ages! The constant back-and-forth control and loss of ground by these two fighters! In other words, yes, I finally was able to pull the trigger and get some Berghia slugs from Salty Underground (thanks @RichtheReefer21 !). They're pricy, but I'm hoping that they'll do the job well, though I know it'll take awhile. It's also a bit frustrating since they're small enough to get inside the rocks, so I can't be 100% certain that they're all ok.

20200519_102803.jpg

Hi, little fellas!! There's a total of 6, and I spread them out on the tank rock into 2 groups of 3.

20200519_113733.jpg

You can just see them on the main rock in the center, two right by one another, and the other off to the left a bit.

20200519_113741(0).jpg

The others are hanging out by the other side of the tank.

I also picked up a cleaner package from @reefcleaners , as well. Hopefully that'll take care of my various algae problems. I'm waiting for them to arrive still, should be today (Thursday) or tomorrow. Didn't get anything that's necessarily good for bubble algae, though. With the poor experiences I've had in the past, I didn't want to risk losing fish. Also, unfortunately, no luck in finding a place with bumblebees to try and get rid of the blasted vermatids :( .

On a sadder note, I'm worried about my main pink leather (see above pic). When I put in the berghia, it looked fine as usual, though I turned off the lights, flow, etc., but you can see the coral is nice and open and flowing. This was on Tuesday (two days ago). Other than that, I've not done or changed anything in the tank. Today and yesterday, though, it hasn't been opening:

20200521_093335.jpg

You can see the "frag" from the main just in front is looking fine, but the main piece itself... not so much. I'm really worried that something is killing it (picture above was taken this (Thursday) morning). I took 4 bristle stars out from the branches, which had climbed up from the rock below. The base is still attached to the rock, but it just looks like it's kinda giving up. Any advice would be a huge help. Maybe something from having mixed a bit of the berghia water with the DT? None of the other corals or stock seem at all affected, just this one, and I'm mostly worried since I placed the slugs right near it (since Aiptasia is close by).

Either way, I'm at least glad to be on the road of getting some aspects cleaned up :D

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with the berghias. I went with 16 for my 6ft 125 that has hundreds of baby aips everywhere. Took about 5 weeks before i noticed a large decline in numbers. Dont sweat not seein them. Theyre prolly fine.

Leathers are robust and survive just about everything that would kill other species of coral. I have gone a week with a leather/softie looking like that only to have it come back stronger and bigger. Give it some time.

Also, a simple fresh bag of carbon is a great way to try to possibly remove any unwanted nasties from the water column, including toxins that leathers are known to release under stress.

Just a few ideas. Hope the new cuc keeps things cleaner for ya too.

Cheers

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back