OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 220 gallons of the stuff growing in my new display ... would _love_ to give it all away, LOL!

~Bruce
I knew there had to be someone growing it ! I think I might try to grow my own culture; sounds sorta fun :)

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - I'm not growing it on purpose . . . it's taken over my new display with green water!

~Bruce
WOAHH i didn't even know that could happen :) could i buy a culture of it from you once i get all my equipment together?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOAHH i didn't even know that could happen :) could i buy a culture of it from you once i get all my equipment together?

I'd be happy to give you some ... if I had a clue how to get it to you.

20170705_122911.jpg

20170703_184249.jpg

It's gotten worse since these photos were taken - last week.

~Bruce

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew it for years. Way cheaper than buying it! Gave it to friends and the local clubs to put in the raffles. My tank loved it.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing it EVERY coral opened up and fed from it. While using phytoplankton my tank inhabitants were extremely happy. Polyp extension was amazing and growth drastic. I actually used melvsreef recipe and process. Wife hated it but my tank loved it lol.

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing it EVERY coral opened up and fed from it. While using phytoplankton my tank inhabitants were extremely happy. Polyp extension was amazing and growth drastic. I actually used melvsreef recipe and process. Wife hated it but my tank loved it lol.
Ive been researching for months about coral growth and the ocean; theres not much phyto in a typical reef tank, and i think that could be super important to the true success of a reef tank. Im also trying to figure out how to rig my power heads so that i can get a true wave similar to the ocean, but its hard to see the flow in my tank without things floating in it? (any ideas for helping to see the flow patterns in the tank?) I just odered a bunch of corals to grow out, and purchased lots of equipment, I really wanna breed corals and make some new kinds of colors/breeds/ :) trying to learn all i can. Rainbow space invader coral coming soon!!!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been researching for months about coral growth and the ocean; theres not much phyto in a typical reef tank, and i think that could be super important to the true success of a reef tank. Im also trying to figure out how to rig my power heads so that i can get a true wave similar to the ocean, but its hard to see the flow in my tank without things floating in it? (any ideas for helping to see the flow patterns in the tank?) I just odered a bunch of corals to grow out, and purchased lots of equipment, I really wanna breed corals and make some new kinds of colors/breeds/ :) trying to learn all i can. Rainbow space invader coral coming soon!!!

Phyto is very important. In the US phyto isn't that heavily utilized, but in other area's like italy, it's quite important to a lot of reefers. I will also say, the owner of ME Corals said "My tank had never looked better than when I was dosing phyto, but it wasn't worth the hassle for me" -- I'm assuming it wasn't worth the hassle because he's a busy guy.

People that commit to doing it often love their results. Give it a shot, see what comes of it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Josh, I got mine at jks. I also killed the entire bottle. My husband did not care for it being in the fridge. I would agree corals like it. Not totally sure about any negatives to using it.

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, I got mine at jks. I also killed the entire bottle. My husband did not care for it being in the fridge. I would agree corals like it. Not totally sure about any negatives to using it.
JKS charges like 15 a bottle I believe? You could make it for sooooo much cheeper. It super frustrated me to see it marked up so much haha

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is very important. In the US phyto isn't that heavily utilized, but in other area's like italy, it's quite important to a lot of reefers. I will also say, the owner of ME Corals said "My tank had never looked better than when I was dosing phyto, but it wasn't worth the hassle for me" -- I'm assuming it wasn't worth the hassle because he's a busy guy.

People that commit to doing it often love their results. Give it a shot, see what comes of it.
Im excited to start :) Americans are typically lazy so thats not surprising to hear its neglected here… But it could also be because of cost! i wouldn't pay $15 a month unless it was absolutely necessary; thats why I'm gonna make it :)

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, although SPS may ingest phytoplankton, it is not certain that they digest it. They are very selective feeders.

Just remember that when it dies off in a tank it releases all the nutrients it consumed.

I've always looked at it like this; phyto is for zooplankton, and zooplankton is for SPS.

Are you going to use the Fritz's F2, or what to grow it?

EDIT: I'd like to drip dose it to a low flow section of my refugium, to feed amphipods. [emoji6]

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back