Growing Ulva lactuca in refugium

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just received my refugium starter pack from algae barn. I followed the steps on how to properly seed and put everything in there. Lights go on tomorrow. My question is for anyone who has successfully grown ulva lactuca. I’ve tried researching everything there is about how to grow it but there’s very little advise. If anyone has any recommendations on how to that would be super helpful. I have a kessil h80 not sure what par to start out with and if I have the right amount of nutrients which i know I probably don’t considering it thrives in high nutrients and I have a new tank but I want to make sure I do everything I can to make sure it doesn’t die. Tested 2 days ago nitrates (2.0ppm) phosphate (0.06ppm) and alk (8.3). Ph 7.90 right now. I’m having a really hard time keep it stable. It fluxs between 8.02 and 7.89 not running my DT lights but have them set up so if I need to I can turn them on. The only things I have in my dt so far are two clowns. I am trying to decide on wether or not to get a cerith snail or algae wasting goby. Any advise or direction would be really appreciated. Thank you so much!

D9976478-80FC-4181-B206-42AF36B1209D.jpeg

OP
OP
maddiesreef

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just received my refugium starter pack from algae barn. I followed the steps on how to properly seed and put everything in there. Lights go on tomorrow. My question is for anyone who has successfully grown ulva lactuca. I’ve tried researching everything there is about how to grow it but there’s very little advise. If anyone has any recommendations on how to that would be super helpful. I have a kessil h80 not sure what par to start out with and if I have the right amount of nutrients which i know I probably don’t considering it thrives in high nutrients and I have a new tank but I want to make sure I do everything I can to make sure it doesn’t die. Tested 2 days ago nitrates (2.0ppm) phosphate (0.06ppm) and alk (8.3). Ph 7.90 right now. I’m having a really hard time keep it stable. It fluxs between 8.02 and 7.89 not running my DT lights but have them set up so if I need to I can turn them on. The only things I have in my dt so far are two clowns. I am trying to decide on wether or not to get a cerith snail or algae wasting goby. Any advise or direction would be really appreciated. Thank you so much!

D9976478-80FC-4181-B206-42AF36B1209D.jpeg
Algae eating goby*

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend to start your H80 off on the 50% on grow setting and adjust from there. I would run it opposite of your display lights. If you do not have algae in your display tank I would maybe hold off on cerith snails for a bit and get something that will add to the bio load to help feed the sea lettuce. How many gallons is your display? :)

OP
OP
maddiesreef

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend to start your H80 off on the 50% on grow setting and adjust from there. I would run it opposite of your display lights. If you do not have algae in your display tank I would maybe hold off on cerith snails for a bit and get something that will add to the bio load to help feed the sea lettuce. How many gallons is your display?
Thank you so much for your reply! It is 75 gallons and the sump is about 30 gallons.

OP
OP
maddiesreef

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend to start your H80 off on the 50% on grow setting and adjust from there. I would run it opposite of your display lights. If you do not have algae in your display tank I would maybe hold off on cerith snails for a bit and get something that will add to the bio load to help feed the sea lettuce. How many gallons is your display? :)
And also do you think I would benefit from a small power head where the sea lettuce is to tumble it around a bit? Right now it is just sitting on top of the cubes. I put mesh in there as well to keep it from going into display so much

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe look into some cardinals, gobies, or dwarf angel next to help with the bio load? Sea Lettuce can be tumbled or anchored so if it were me I would leave it as is for now and see how it does before adding the power head.

OP
OP
maddiesreef

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look into some cardinals, gobies, or dwarf angel next to help with the bio load? Sea Lettuce can be tumbled or anchored so if it were me I would leave it as is for now and see how it does before adding the power head.
Awesome, thank you so much I will definitely take your advice! All three of those are actually on my list so that’s perfect I will get one of those in there asap. Court jesters are beautiful! Hope you have a wonderful rest of your day

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back