Growing Zoas in Refug with Kessil H380?

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am setting up a new sump, and purchased a Kessil H380 light. I have been selling off some of my zoas due to a new angel that likes to snack on them. A thought came to mind that I could move them to my sump area. Would that light be sufficient for zoas?! Thanks!

OP
OP
rbraunberger

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you ever test this out?
Not Old at all...first person to comment.

My Emperor did take a liking to my Acans, so I moved them with one sample zoa frag to the sump with this light. They seem to be doing ok.....when light is out they extend their feeding arms like normal, but I have noticed they seem to becoming a bit clear in coloration. Like they are ejecting their bacteria...no sure how that will affect their long term health going forward in the sump, but I will post here what I find.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think an h380 would just be overkill on softies and lps...
I don't know how many chambers you have in your sump, but you could possibly utilize one of the other chambers and place a frag rack in there...
Then you could light it with a simple blue led strip, which should keep them happier than that kessil would

Chris Jakubowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an h380 would just be overkill on softies and lps...
I don't know how many chambers you have in your sump, but you could possibly utilize one of the other chambers and place a frag rack in there...
Then you could light it with a simple blue led strip, which should keep them happier than that kessil would

Correct but the point is he already has the kessil H380 already running for his macro algae, which has priority over trying to grow a few frags

Chris Jakubowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but it's a certain deathtrap

Is that because the H380 doesn't have the colour spectrum needed for zoas and softies? or that it would be too intense and just kill them? have you actually tested this?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back