Growth on Bangaii Cardinal

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been away on business for about a month, my wife has noticed a growth (rapidly) growing on one of our older fish.

It’s hard to capture a photo but the Bangaii is roughly 5 years old. The grows seems to be coming from his gill plate. It is starting to hamper his ability to swim.

I have not been home, and water changes have not been done, I assume elevated nitrates/phosphate but I do not have current parameters.

Does this look like anything common? Anything treatable?

2ED7AE79-F1A0-44F7-AF9A-53DE456C4ADD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been away on business for about a month, my wife has noticed a growth (rapidly) growing on one of our older fish.

It’s hard to capture a photo but the Bangaii is roughly 5 years old. The grows seems to be coming from his gill plate. It is starting to hamper his ability to swim.

I have not been home, and water changes have not been done, I assume elevated nitrates/phosphate but I do not have current parameters.

This is bacterial growth and likely from an injury of some sort. being these guys are delicate, quarantine and treat with seachem Neoplex and Increase oxygen with an air stone and also monitor ammonia levels

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the growth originating from under the gill plate? If so and given the species involved and the age of the fish, I would say this could be thyroid hyperplasia (AKA goiter). If it is growing from the top of the gill (versus inside where the thyroid is) then it could be a bacterial infection, but I think it still looks like it has more structure to it than I would expect from bacteria.
The rapid growth does point to a bacterial infection, as neoplasms take longer to develop. However, goiter can grow under the gill plate and then more suddenly appear when they reach a certain size.
Can you get clearer photos from different angles?
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is bacterial growth and likely from an injury of some sort. being these guys are delicate, quarantine and treat with seachem Neoplex and Increase oxygen with an air stone and also monitor ammonia levels
Since the fish is 5 years old - I don't understand. it seems like a possible tumor, etc

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since the fish is 5 years old - I don't understand. it seems like a possible tumor, etc
When ive had mine 5.5 years and no such issue and even one eye (from jumping out 2 yrs ago), I dont consider this old age issue. I see Jay too suspects bacterial as it appears to be above gill and agree better pics will confirm where it is originating from. The fast rate makes me believe bacterial

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When ive had mine 5.5 years and no such issue and even one eye (from jumping out 2 yrs ago), I dont consider this old age issue. I see Jay too suspects bacterial as it appears to be above gill and agree better pics will confirm where it is originating from. The fast rate makes me believe bacterial
Perhaps I misread Jay's post. I don't think so - I agree with you - treat for bacteria - expect it's something else. In other words - why does one fish develop a bacterial infection out of the blue.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Perhaps I misread Jay's post. I don't think so - I agree with you - treat for bacteria - expect it's something else. In other words - why does one fish develop a bacterial infection out of the blue.
Gram negative can grow very rapidly and start from an infection

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gram negative can grow very rapidly and start from an infection
I think you mean - from an injury. But - yes - all bacteria can do that. Gram positive and negative.

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey, how did this fish do? Did you figure anything out? I have the exact same thing going on right now.

Back