Growth on damsel

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ran this damsel along with a tomini and wrasse through safety stop then 72hr ttm with a round of general cure.

On day 10 there was a white spot under the damsels cheek along his jawline if you will. It didn't look like ich, or velvet and there was no sign of anything else going on with any of the fish so I finished up and put the wrasse and tomini into the DT. This guy has been in a 13.5 fluval by himself with some rock and peppermint shrimp for a week now and this thing keeps getting bigger.

I'll see if I can get better pictures but this what I have for now.

20210408_140113.jpg 20210408_140201.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be Lymphocystis, but it is an odd location and a bit larger than I would expect that to be. How long has it had this lesion all told?

jay

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be Lymphocystis, but it is an odd location and a bit larger than I would expect that to be. How long has it had this lesion all told?

jay
We are at about 9 days now and it's been a slow but steady growth. Eating and swimming normally.

Almost has tiny feathers sticking out in a spot or three.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be Lymphocystis, that seems pretty quick for one of those lesions to grow to that size. Do you have any antibiotics oh hand?

If you can get a clearer picture, please post it.

Thanks,

jay

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No antibiotics. I have formalin/malachite green and methylene blue from safety stop, 3% h202, and api general cure, I'll see if I can get a better picture.

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymph was my thoughts and why I felt comfortable moving the others to the DT. Started having doubts and figured I'd reach out for some expert input.

Here are two more might be a bit better
20210408_185518.jpg
20210408_185617.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely buy fungal with the "stalks" coming off, what are your thoughts @Jay Hemdal ?

Not a clue on what a good course of action would be for fungal or bacterial.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely buy fungal with the "stalks" coming off, what are your thoughts @Jay Hemdal ?

Not a clue on what a good course of action would be for fungal or bacterial.
That looks less like Lymphocystis to me in those photos. External fungal infections are exceedingly rare in marine fish. It may be a bacterial infection. Almost all external bacteria are gram negative, so Neoplex, furan-2 or Maracyn 2 would all be possible choices.
Jay

OP
OP
R

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I toss this guy back into a standard 10g what's my ammonia risk following furan-2 protocol of 4 days with a 25% water change each day? I would imagine I'm fine as it, the tomini, and wrasse all did 72 hour transfers without issue. Worth going for or just wait it out in the fluval 13.5.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I toss this guy back into a standard 10g what's my ammonia risk following furan-2 protocol of 4 days with a 25% water change each day? I would imagine I'm fine as it, the tomini, and wrasse all did 72 hour transfers without issue. Worth going for or just wait it out in the fluval 13.5.
Yes - I would be REALLY surprised if this turned out to be something highly contagious. More likely, it will be isolated to the damselfish. I can't tell you what the ammonia level will do, too many uncontrolled variables. The best thing to do is test it daily with a good test kit (not a badge or API).

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back