Growth yellow tang in a 30g

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish grow very fast in the first couple of years. I have a purple tang grew from 1” to 4” in two years. Then grew another inch in the following two years.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Tangs are one of the fish most people like to jump on other people about for little reason. Nobody gets jumped on for putting a baby clown triggerfish in a 30 gallon even though it will outgrow it faster than any other fish and really are ocean-going fish and swim even more than a reef-going tang. The key is to move the fish when they outgrow the aquarium. That fish is just over the max size for that aquarium and you have done the responsible thing and are setting up a larger aquarium. Thank you! I have had many tangs and have kept them in everything from a Fluval Evo 13.5 (captive raised from Biota and received at 0.75 inches long and kept to 1.5 inches) up to a 500-gallon aquarium with many tangs of various types which I have had for 10+ years and never had an issue with them. The key is to move them when they outgrow the tank. Tangs grow quickly from 0 inches to 2.5 inches in about eight months or so but after 2.5-3 inches they really seem to slow down. After that, the growth could only be an inch a year max and 0.5 inches or less per year after 4+ years.

If you want the best growth and coloration and fish health you need to feed algae rich foods twice daily and nori sheets at least twice a week.

I plan to keep a tang in my 3.8 gallons at some point lol. I have experience raising clownfish and love baby fish and would love to get a tang from Biota at 0.25 inches long or maybe less and grow it out :D.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, fish (tangs) should be fed as much as they can eat. If the food is gone late afternoon, they you should add more food the next day. After a few trials, you know the amount of food needed and added just the right amount. I have multi feeding stations for my tangs in term of Nori clips in addition to the algae in the tank and automatic pellets though out the day. Frozen and flakes in AM and a variety of different thing in the evening when I get home, when the light still on.
Below is my Yellow tang, I got him when he was about 1.5 inches. The body without the tail is about the size of the quarter. Now, about 3 years later, he is about 5 inches. He slow a lot in growth the last year. I consider him to be at optimal health. He always have a full stomach, which I rarely see in aquarium fishes.

YellowTang2019062402.jpg

YellowTang2019052801.jpg

I follow the same philosophy. Mall my tangs are thicker than my hand. Including some of the smaller ones that are under six inches. Round belly to me means robust strong fish.

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok om gonna seriously up the feedings for the tang!
Do the clowns and the wrasse need so mutch food to?

Currently i feed 1x a mix of one and two flakes with auto feeder at 13.00 ( not mutch) and some extra two flake when I get home from work around 17.00 and 3/4 to 1 cube of frozen food between 18.00 and 19.00.
And tan a 1.5x1.5 piece of nori every other day.

So I'm gonna up the herbivore feeding a lot.
Nori on a clip every day.
Probably only two flake in autofeeder and dose more and multiple times.

I also have Hikari sewead extreme witch I will hand feed when I get home from work instead of the two flake.

Does a tang need any other food?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok om gonna seriously up the feedings for the tang!
Do the clowns and the wrasse need so mutch food to?

Currently i feed 1x a mix of one and two flakes with auto feeder at 13.00 ( not mutch) and some extra two flake when I get home from work around 17.00 and 3/4 to 1 cube of frozen food between 18.00 and 19.00.
And tan a 1.5x1.5 piece of nori every other day.

So I'm gonna up the herbivore feeding a lot.
Nori on a clip every day.
Probably only two flake in autofeeder and dose more and multiple times.

I also have Hikari sewead extreme witch I will hand feed when I get home from work instead of the two flake.

Does a tang need any other food?
I feed these http://nlsfishfood.com/algaemax-worth-the-wait/

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's looks like a good food.
Alot more diversity in types of green food instead of only nori and spirulinna.
Gonna try to get my hands on those although it's not avaliable in my country.

I've just hang the clip on a fish wire.. Against the back of the tank bihind the rock and 10cm above the bottom of the tank so I don't see de clip hanging and there is not to mutch flow.
At the surface is way to mutch flow.

The tang went at the nori pretty fast:D
Has probably eaten more nori today than he normally eats in a week.

Thanks for the tip!

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's looks like a good food.
Alot more diversity in types of green food instead of only nori and spirulinna.
Gonna try to get my hands on those although it's not avaliable in my country.

I've just hang the clip on a fish wire.. Against the back of the tank bihind the rock and 10cm above the bottom of the tank so I don't see de clip hanging and there is not to mutch flow.
At the surface is way to mutch flow.

The tang went at the nori pretty fast:D
Has probably eaten more nori today than he normally eats in a week.

Thanks for the tip!
Tangs really love green romaine lettuce too.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only tangs but all my fishes eat Nori. My tank have a center brace and I have a cover so the fishline for the food clip have very short length. I think water movement is food, get the fish a lot of exercise and keep them from fighting each other at the clip. That is why I have 3 clips also. The dominant tang, PBT, tend to bully the Yellow and Purple tangs from eating at "his" clip, they just go to the next one.
Having the food clip near the top is better for me also becasue I have such high current, the line get tangle on everything if it is too long, and over time algae start to grow on the lone. this way I just change the clip every week or so and the clip remain clean and free of algae.
I feed my tank 1.5 sheets (10X10 inches sheet) every day
F4025928-D944-4C89-A53D-B929257E64F6.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with Ford Family. It has neared its growth adult size. May hit 4-5" in a very large tank, but even in a large tank- 4" is average.
For being a smaller tank and achieving 3" is a good size. Nori seaweed, LRS foods, small mysis and plankton should be part of its' diet as well as vegetation and apply garlic to its' food occasionally

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs really love green romaine lettuce too.
Many people use terrestrial vegetable to feed tangs also. I have not heard any problem with this. I would nuke the vegetable in microwaves, or blanched in boiling water first and feed. This is because terrestrial plants have much thicker cell wall than algae which may give the fish something their gut may not equip to deal with as easy and algae.
I don't use this myself but don't see why it would be a problem other than above, the cell wall. One can argue that fresh plants, and variety of them, will have much more vitamins than dried mono-culture of algae. My fish are doing well with the feeding regiment that I use. It is a little more expensive than using terrestrial vegetables so I am not contemplate changing at this time. If anybody here use terrestrial vegetable, please chime in so we all can learn.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use terrestrial vegetable to feed tangs also. I have not heard any problem with this. I would nuke the vegetable in microwaves, or blanched in boiling water first and feed. This is because terrestrial plants have much thicker cell wall than algae which may give the fish something their gut may not equip to deal with as easy and algae.
I don't use this myself but don't see why it would be a problem other than above, the cell wall. One can argue that fresh plants, and variety of them, will have much more vitamins than dried mono-culture of algae. My fish are doing well with the feeding regiment that I use. It is a little more expensive than using terrestrial vegetables so I am not contemplate changing at this time. If anybody here use terrestrial vegetable, please chime in so we all can learn.
I do. I never had an issue feeding them with plain lettuce as the tangs in the 500 gallon tank could eat a whole pack of algae so lettuce is just cheeper. All of the tangs are around 5 to 8 inches and have no issue eating it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^
That is great.
Consider feeding them other terrestrial vegetables also. Variety cannot be bad.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This AM
42FA9D43-DD3D-4630-BEB7-05026EA1FB5B.jpeg

Just now
27B96FE3-4605-4AD6-BC63-2D5D8F4DEEBD.jpeg

The way I attached the Nori, there is no loose Nori floating around. The fish just eat whatever they pull off of the clip.

Brent Harpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6DEF7B22-570F-4F7D-BC8B-62E2A0DC418B.jpeg

out of curiosity, I have my yellow in a 180. Doesn’t seem to grow much. How big do they actually get in a normal home aquarium? The ones in the massive tank at my local zoo are really large so I’m curious if mine will ever get that big?

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a fish that's a nice addition to the tang btw for in the 75g?
Like a bristeltooth or a foxface?
Or is it better to just leave it with 1 yellow tang?

I always get the idea that tangs like to swim with other fish.

I wouldn't recommend a Foxface or another Tang for the tank. In the Tangs eyes a 75 G is still small, and the food source on the rocks is not abundant (especially since it's a new tank). This causes a natural instinct to defend it's territory and food from other fish who may eat the same stuff. You want to keep your Yellow Tang the least stressed as possible otherwise he's going to turn into a tank boss and all your other fish will be scared and stressed. He gets along with the clowns and wrasse, so maybe add a blue spotted puffer - or something that won't intimidate the Tangs food source.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I want a tang but I only have a 30g
Your best bet will be a hepatus blue who in time will hit an easy 5". Tomini is other that stays smaller

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back