grube’s gorgonian lay eggs :)

jsbach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to share experience this morning, I have a grube’s gorgonian for 3 month and it doing good, heal all wounds when it comes and grow fast
This morning it begin to lay eggs so my tank is full of small white balls :)

My tank is 20 gal nano, the light setting is every day from 6 am, it starts with weak blue light, the light strength increase to top and full spectrum at 8 am. At 9 pm it gradually decrease to 0 at 11:pm

Last night all polyps withdraw for ~2 hour, at this morning when the lights on at 6 am, it begin to release eggs. The whole process is ~2h and I got several pictures for the last several eggs stay in the mouth of polyps (red circle in attachs)

I'm a beginner and grube’s gorgonian is beginner coral, so instead LOL I may LOS (lauth out silently) :)

20191115_081327.jpg 20191115_081334.jpg 20191115_081340.jpg

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! i've had a Grube's gorgonian for over 4 years and it's never done that. I've had to cut it back heavily once, but it just keeps growing and growing and looking just fabulous at the same time. I'm not sure if its a hermaphroditic coral, but keep your eye out for new colonies popping up if indeed it is!

It's spawning....not so much "laying eggs".

OP
OP
jsbach

jsbach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! i've had a Grube's gorgonian for over 4 years and it's never done that. I've had to cut it back heavily once, but it just keeps growing and growing and looking just fabulous at the same time. I'm not sure if its a hermaphroditic coral, but keep your eye out for new colonies popping up if indeed it is!

It's spawning....not so much "laying eggs".
Thanks for correction... I think most gorgonian are monoecious ... also my fish finish all eggs within 3h :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back