GSP closes up in the evening

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that this frag was only placed in my tank yesterday. But I have noticed that both evenings the GSP has completely receded. This time also coincides with the brightest light period for my tank, as it ramps up from noon to 1700 then constant until 2000. It then fades down until 2200.

Is this normal for GSP to do this, or is it just the acclimation to the new environment? It was fully open this morning when I woke up. I've read that GSP likes quite a bit of light, so I did not think the placement is bad (back wall, low down in the tank) and my lights are not that powerful. (Fluval Sea Marine Nano X2)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this coral come from a different time zone or used to the lfs lighting period which may be lights out at the end of normal business hours? Give it a week.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this coral come from a different time zone or used to the lfs lighting period which may be lights out at the end of normal business hours? Give it a week.
I just received this coral via mail from WWC. Placed in tank yesterday evening, then dipped and replaced this morning. It was fully opened this afternoon. I will just keep an eye on it. My lights only go up to 65% right now, will reduce that to 45% for a few days.

As I am writing this, I notice that the clove polyp that came in the same order has closed back up also...it never fully opened yet though.

h20cyclone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are acclimating to a new lighting period. It’s normal for some corals to close up later in the lighting period or when they are adapting to a new environment. Would just keep an eye on it before reacting too much.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are acclimating to a new lighting period. It’s normal for some corals to close up later in the lighting period or when they are adapting to a new environment. Would just keep an eye on it before reacting too much.
Thanks. I was more curious than anything. I assumed that once the coral was opened up, that it would only close if there was an issue. What you say makes sense though.

Back