GSP Coral Closed for 4 Days!

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I posted previously about the algae invasion I'm experiencing along with visibly increased copepod population. My GSP coral has closed for a few days now and appears to have some sort of algae(?) growing on it. It has looked beautiful prior but now it's not looking to good.

Here are the tank parameters:

Ammonia (API)= 0.25/0.50 PPM
Nitrate (API) = 0 PPM
Nitrite (API) =0 PPM

Magnesium (Salifert) = 1500 PPM
Calcium (Salifert) = 495 PPM
Alkalinity (Salifert)= 7.7

Salt (optically) = 1.026 -1.027
pH (Apex probe) =8.21
Temperature (Apex Probe and Red alcohol thermometer AVG) = 78.6°F

Included are photos of the GSP as well as the poor bubble algae coated duncan. I would love some advice here!
20190805_201102.jpeg
20190805_201133.jpeg
20190805_201158.jpeg
20190805_211219.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would carefully take the ducan out and get the BA off it before it can spread to other parts of your reef.

Any ammonia is not a good sign in a cycled reef and you should detect nitrates.

I would suggest buying Salifert ammonia and nitrate kits, to cross check your API kits.

If they confirm your API, then your still cycling or may never have completed a full cycle.

Then we can rule in or out some things pertaining to your GSP.

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would carefully take the ducan out and get the BA off it before it can spread to other parts of your reef.

Any ammonia is not a good sign in a cycled reef and you should detect nitrates.

I would suggest buying Salifert ammonia and nitrate kits, to cross check your API kits.

If they confirm your API, then your still cycling or may never have completed a full cycle.

Then we can rule in or out some things pertaining to your GSP.
I just did that today to the little duncan. Very difficult to not cut into the flesh.

The tank is turning 6 months this week and everything looked so beautiful and healthy for a while. I'm going to grab a Salifert kit since I know API is lackluster.

I bought a UV sterilizer and am running it on its low flow setting. I got a toothbrush and attached it to the top of my suction device to remove some of the hair algae during a 10 gallon water change today (it's a 30gallon tank). Swapped out the old bag of chemipure blue as well as replaced the GFO media in the bag. It was time anyway.

I've been feeding heavier ever since I got my clown pair on July 24th I'm wondering if this may be contributing.

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increases in feeding could contribute, but the bacteria in a cycled tank should be able to react to the increased feeding pretty rapidly. I would agree to get another test kit and verify those numbers. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
Tony R.

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increases in feeding could contribute, but the bacteria in a cycled tank should be able to react to the increased feeding pretty rapidly. I would agree to get another test kit and verify those numbers. Let us know how it turns out.
Check this out. After the large water change yesterday look who started to peak out again.

I'm grabbing another test kit on my way home from the lab today to confirm these numbers.

Should I buy one of those Dr. Tim's bacteria bottles preemptively?
20190810_142827.jpeg

Royalgipsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem right now for 3 days, and preparing a water change as i write. Can I please get a report if this is solved for you and what solved it..

Back