GSP Dying??

Han31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, few weeks back I started noticing my GSP losing its green tip, and right now there's almost none

BEFORE
1628316379760.jpg

NOW
1628316178849 (1) (1).jpg

My current tank parameters are,
Size - 7 gallons
PH - About 8.2
Alkalinity - 8 dkh
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Phosphates - 0 ppm
Nitrates - 25 ppm

From the before image, it's initially at the top, slightly medium flow and higher light. Its been there for like at least a month and it seems happy.
Then recently I had a copepod bloom and also algae bloom due to increased nitrates and phosphates (from overfeeding)
I immediately used phosphate guard to remove phosphates for a couple of days (wondering if its because of this rapid drop, the GSP is unhappy)

At present, I'm still trying to reduce my nitrates numbers though, its been high between 20-40ppm even by doing 50% water changes weekly
I do use seachem prime if my nitrates get too high before making water changes.
I'm wondering if the high nitrates are killing it. My other corals are doing fine though.
Temporarily I've shifted the GSP lower for lesser light and also lesser flow to stabilize them.

If you notice from the NOW image, there are roots growing out of it, and I've no idea what is it.
When I bought this frag, it already had these tiny roots.
1628316379768.jpg

Any thoughts on this GSP? I miss seeing it being healthy :(

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light are you using (not trying to be rude, but based on color and intensity from the photos, it doesn’t look like it’s adequate for corals)? What kind of water are you using? What brand of test kits are you using? The phosphates being zero could be part of the problem, but I’d expect you to see issues with your other corals before the gsp. Also, I would stop using the prime if you think your nitrates are too high (40 or even 60 is high, but wouldn’t cause the issue you’re seeing), it should only be used in emergencies if you have fish and the ammonia level is getting too high.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my GSP losing its green tip, and right now there's almost none
Loosing color could be 2 things. Lights are too much, not enough or wrong spectrum. Or Coral is starving from lack of nutrients.

What lights you running?? How long they run?
Phosphate is good, all coral need it. Nitrate at 20 is ok.

What’s your salinity and temp? But there are some heavy swings in a 7 gallon.

OP
OP
H

Han31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light are you using (not trying to be rude, but based on color and intensity from the photos, it doesn’t look like it’s adequate for corals)? What kind of water are you using? What brand of test kits are you using? The phosphates being zero could be part of the problem, but I’d expect you to see issues with your other corals before the gsp. Also, I would stop using the prime if you think your nitrates are too high (40 or even 60 is high, but wouldn’t cause the issue you’re seeing), it should only be used in emergencies if you have fish and the ammonia level is getting too high.
Hey thanks for the reply! No worries, I'm trying to learn over here. I'm using the very basic spectra aqua knight. Unfortunately, I don't measure the par and just eyeball it. It's roughly at a 20 percent intensity and has white, blue and UV LEDs. My initial guess was too much light because the GSP really grew quite a bit in a month only to crash. Noted on the prime!, I get worried a lot seeing high nitrates ><

OP
OP
H

Han31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loosing color could be 2 things. Lights are too much, not enough or wrong spectrum. Or Coral is starving from lack of nutrients.

What lights you running?? How long they run?
Phosphate is good, all coral need it. Nitrate at 20 is ok.

What’s your salinity and temp? But there are some heavy swings in a 7 gallon.
Thanks for the reply AquaMan! I'm using a very basic spectra aquaknight that has blue, white and purple LEDs. I've not measured the par before thought but the corals do react to them as in puff up during the day.

My lighting schedule:
730-930am - Blues & Purples only
930am-4pm - Whites, Blues & Purples
4pm-730pm - Blues & Purples only

I keep my salinity at 35 ppt and because I'm in a tropical country, my tank temperature doesn't change much, usually at 28 degree celsius equivalent to 82.4 fahrenheit.

OP
OP
H

Han31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woots! I missed out some important points. I'm using all API test kits. I use tap water that runs through a filter. I've tested them before with all 0 phosphates, nitrates, ammonia, chlorine. TDS meter also show none. I use aquaforest reef salt for my salt water mix as well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 phosphate is a bad number.
Your nitrate is fine, but your starving them with zero phosphate assuming that number is correct.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used phosgaurd you only need a teaspoon full at a time . I have a 120 and only use 3 tablespoons. It will deplete all phosphates fast . That is probably your problem.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lighting schedule:
730-930am - Blues & Purples only
930am-4pm - Whites, Blues & Purples
4pm-730pm - Blues & Purples only
12 hrs is a long time, IMO.

roughly at a 20 percent intensity and has white, blue and UV LEDs.
20% might be too much for a 7 gallon. Which spectra aquaknight exactly is it? I see multiple listed.
I'm using all API test kits. I use tap water that runs through a filter.
I would not trust API for phosphate testing. API is ok for Alkalinity and calcium tests.
equivalent to 82.4 fahrenheit.
It’s summer here and I get very concerned if my tank hits 82F!!! Luckily it’s very rare to get that high.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hrs is a long time, IMO.

20% might be too much for a 7 gallon. Which spectra aquaknight exactly is it? I see multiple listed.

I would not trust API for phosphate testing. API is ok for Alkalinity and calcium tests.

It’s summer here and I get very concerned if my tank hits 82F!!! Luckily it’s very rare to get that high.
I don’t think 12 hours is too long, most corals that we keep come from near the equator where there is roughly 12 hours of daylight year round. So long as there are a couple hours of ramping up and down (as there are here), there’s no issue. Obviously if you’re having algae issues or want to slow growth, you can lower the photoperiod, but otherwise, IME, 12 hours is ideal.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with zero phosphates being the problem. They are starving.

OP
OP
H

Han31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys! Some updates, I got it out of the tank to inspect it. There's so much growth on it or possibly its melting. I gave it a nice scrub with tooth brush and rinsed it with medicated coral dip. Not sure if it's some sort of coral disease? ><

What it looks like, yucky
1628473002194.jpg

After scrubbing,
1628473002186.jpg

This morning some opened. I think quite a few polyps died.
1628473371287.jpg

Back