Gsp not opening and Zoas covered in green algae

Discussion in 'Coral Savers' started by Donttouchthebutt, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

Okay! What do you mean by prune it back? Like frag it?
    What do you think about a Duncan coral going in right now?
    Only asking because he needs to get rid of all of his corals and everything he has is basically up for grabs.

2. Zack Klabunde

Zack Klabunde The LPS Guy R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Torch i would wait at least 2 weeks to make sure your tank doesn't go whacko out of line. Duncan should be okay at the time. Agree on the Macro though. it will get out of hand quicky.
    -Zack

3. Jeepguy242

Jeepguy242 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Prune. It’s a plant not a coral. So rip it out or cut it

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  4. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

@Donttouchthebutt since you are still cycling, your N and P could be out of whack which could cause macro algae to explode. You could always control it by ripping it. As for corals, see if your friend can wait couple of weeks. Stability is the key when it comes to a reef tank. I think you are on the right track. if you really want your friend's coral, see if you can hold them in a frag tank while you dial-in your DT.

5. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

Zoas and gsp are still closed , as expected. My frogspawn couldn’t be happier.
    I picked up some super glue yesterday and plan on glueing my corals back to my rocks, but I’m not gonna touch my Zoas until they open cause I don’t want to stress them out too much.
    I am going to pick up the Duncan’s on Friday. I think I’m also going to take a small piece of the dragons breath macro. If it starts growing like crazy I can always just prune it and sell it I guess.
    And since I’m getting those of Friday I’m gonna do a water change on Thursday

6. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

Also I have a bottle of Coralline algae plus and was wondering if you thought it was a good idea to dose that everyday, what do you think?

7. Jeepguy242

Have you got a thermometer yet?
    New test kits to test for everything?

Your on the road to failure again adding corals. You barely just got your tank fixed and you don’t even know if it is going to go through a cycle again. You don’t know if you corrected the problem that caused you to have to do a reset and your gonna add corals now?

You need to slow down and watch the tank

8. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

I’m only adding a Duncan which you said would be fine, and a macro algae that you said would be fine too.
    I ordered the thermometer and test kits , I should be receiving them tomorrow

9. Jeepguy242

I never said the Duncan would be fine

I said the macro would

If you go thru a cycle which you don’t know if you will yet you will be back in the same place you were

10. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

How long should my tank take to cycle? I know it’s normally around 6 weeks but will it be quicker since I have live rock and sand?
    My friend said he would be able to keep the frags in a separate tank if you think I should wait to add them.

11. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

My bad .. Zack said the Duncan would be fine

12. Jeepguy242

Let’s look at this logically

Something was wrong. You had ammonia and we didn’t figure out why

Complete tank reset which could have destroyed destroyed your biological filtration. We don’t know yet if it did

You can’t test yet to see if you have cycled and you don’t know the temp of th tank

Your gsp isn’t open yet so you don’t know if the problem is cured or if the coral is just stressed.

Personally I would wait till you can test and then wait 2 weeks after everything was normal before adding anything besides Macro algae

Also I would wait to se if any corals you have don’t further deminish or come back

Gsp are really hard to kill and if they aren’t open that is a sign hat something could still be wrong

13. Zack Klabunde

Zack Klabunde The LPS Guy R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If he is not in a hurry to get rid of those frags have him keep them for awhile. Although the Duncan is a hardy coral, I agree you don’t know if your tank is going to cycle. Just keep an eye on everything and make sure everything stays on the right track.
    -Zack, patience is your friend in this hobby.

Jeepguy242 likes this.
  14. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

Okay
    I’ll hold off on the coral then
    And I should continue with the once a week water changes? Or twice a week?

15. Jeepguy242

If you are going to cycle a water change will stall it

Testing your water is key. If your parameters show no rise in nutrients like nitrate or phosphate and you have no ammonia what is the point in changing water. Your replacing clean with clean

Read up on the Triton method see what I’m talking about.

If you have nothing in th tank that is using trace elements and your water is clean then water changes are just wasting money and water

16. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

So water changes won’t help unless I have high ammonia, phosphates, or nitrates.
    So time is truly the only thing that will help.

James E Volk and Jeepguy242 like this.
  17. Jeepguy242

Once you cycle the only thing that will climb is nitrates. If ammonia climbe there is something wrong with the balance of your biological filter.

That is why you did a reset of your tank. You had an algae problem and ammonia. Time for reset.

Now you are clean and need to keep it that way so you let the tank work.

I test water in my tank every 3 days. When the nitrates start getting high 5 or above or trace elements get low I do a water change

I have gone a month without changing water. And even then I don’t feel like I really needed to but I did it just to syphon detritus from the sand and rocks

18. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

Okay
    Well I ordered a hydrometer, a Red Sea saltwater test kit, a thermometer and filter socks.
    Thermometer and filter socks get here today (I think I told you tomorrow before but I was wrong) so I will actually change that out right away.
    The others get here Thursday. I do still have my old api test kit though so I’ll test it with that today to just get a ballpark idea of where I stand.

Jeepguy242 likes this.
  19. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

[​IMG]

Should I dose this?

20. Donttouchthebutt

Donttouchthebutt Member

[​IMG]

Tested with the API test kit so not exactly pin point accuracy... but what do you think? Looks like a good amount of ammonia and a little bit of nitrite. No nitrates yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted