GSP on an Island Rock or on Tank Walls.

Which Should I Do with my GSP Frag?

• Let it grow to cover the back glass.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Let it also grow on the side glass in addition to the back glass.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Attached it to an isolated rock.

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Throw it out ASAP!

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • other- post your idea

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the stocking phase of my tank redo, and will feature soft and lps coral. I have four frags right now - Corals that in the past I found easy to maintain and liked their flow and/or color; frogspawn, kenya tree, zoa and GSP.

My plan for the rock tower is for a zoa column. love those psychedelic colors.

I've always admired @Lasse use of the GSP in his tank. If you haven't seen it, here is a link to his tank thread.

An other option is to give it a home on a single rock (baseball size.

or any other ideas?

As this is a discussion forum, let's hear from you!!! (thank you in advance for your contributions to this thread)

here is my near naked tank in its rise from the ashes. The frags were added over the weekend and are acclimating very nicely.

IMG_9183.jpg

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size tank I would just let it grow out on the back glass wall and remove as you want. I've done both and while the island keeps it separated from the other rock work, the gsp will still grow and mat across the sand.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also looks like you will need better light spread or rethink the rock column. There is heavy shading below the top which will make the zoa's as you plan stretch for the light.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there though I've only seen it done with xenia, not GPS, but imagine it would work the same. IMO I think it would look awesome growing on the back glass in its entirety. The only difference in my vote would be to attach an old magfloat on the back and let it encrust the magnet. Then you can use the coral magnet on your glass or if you're feeling generous, trade it to someone for a fresh magnet so that they can start on having their back glass covered just like yours! Softies all over the glass is always an awesome sight to be seen

OP
OP
NS Mike D

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also looks like you will need better light spread or rethink the rock column. There is heavy shading below the top which will make the zoa's as you plan stretch for the light.

The lights are running about 30% right now. I didn't have the luxury of putting the fish in a different tank nor doing a total restart on my two sumps so I am trying to thread the needle getting the tank micro fauna and coraline established before the algae takes over.

From the look of the two zoa colonies from the original tank with these lights (Corona Rapid LED) the zoas did well in the what appeared to be the shaded lower/underside of the rocks - probably from reflections off the front glass.

fts.JPG

^^^. mixed emotions over this pic, but that's a different story. We pick up, dust ourselves off and take what we learn and once again chase greatness. (and re-read Teddy Roosevelt's Man in the Arena).

Much appreciated, and good point. Just in case that tower is supported by an acrylic rod and can be easily reconfigured if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NS Mike D

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ayes have it. or the back wall wins. I painted the back wall tank yesterday while I had taken the HOB down for a rip clean.

It's closed after today's move, but I expect this to open and start taking over in no time, The blue and green should make for an eye catching progression

IMG_9049.jpg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a GSP lawn. I’d love to do one with rock islands covered in all kinds of colors. Zoa island towers, encrusting monti towers, cyphastrea towers, etc. would look awesome with a flowing neon GSP lawn underneath.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a JBJ 28 with GSP covering back panel and over flows. It took about a year to grow that large. I would not do it again, it's not as easy to peel off as you would think.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never put GSP or Xenia in a tank ever again. For me, it always takes over everywhere. And is impossible to remove. Right now I have GSP in a JBJ 28. It is covering a few rocks, all the way up the back wall and starting to grow on the sides. It is impossible to remove off the back wall and rocks.

it grew from the rock onto the back wall and spread from there. It grew under a large leather and forced it off the rock (it is in a plastic container on the left side).
E8E139EA-8E0F-41AF-965A-673B0ECA93D9.jpeg
B69E25E4-8F74-479D-A2D7-120C3F141EA8.jpeg
A6B25020-832D-4A0B-AC8E-862264BF8554.jpeg

Last edited:

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never put GSP or Xenia in a tank ever again. For me, it always takes over everywhere. And is impossible to remove. Right no I have GSP in a JBJ 28. It is covering a few rocks, all the way up the back wall and starting to grow on the sides. It is impossible to remove off the back wall and rocks.

it grew from the rock onto the back wall and spread from there. It grew under a large leather and forced it off the rock (it is in a plastic container on the left side).
E8E139EA-8E0F-41AF-965A-673B0ECA93D9.jpeg
B69E25E4-8F74-479D-A2D7-120C3F141EA8.jpeg
A6B25020-832D-4A0B-AC8E-862264BF8554.jpeg
This is where personal preference comes in. I think that looks awesome. That’s my goal for a tank though: make it appealing to me (I’m looking at it). Most of the coveted corals I see on here don’t look that cool to me, and I have no idea why people are paying hundreds for 1” frags of them. Stuff like GSP helps fill out a tank beautifully, quickly, and is super affordable.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on boosting GSP growth? Mine for some reason has just stopped spreading looks good just doesn’t wanna encrust on the rock anymore.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nice gsp island that I traded to lfs. I kept a pretty big piece and put it against my overflow about 2 months ago. It's just now starting to climb up. I also have zoas on my other overflow.

gsp island.jpg gsp wall.jpg zoa wall.jpg

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where personal preference comes in. I think that looks awesome. That’s my goal for a tank though: make it appealing to me (I’m looking at it). Most of the coveted corals I see on here don’t look that cool to me, and I have no idea why people are paying hundreds for 1” frags of them. Stuff like GSP helps fill out a tank beautifully, quickly, and is super affordable.

Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was saying it was a bad idea. GSP does add a lot of color and flow to a tank. It can take over though. I only have cheap corals like zoas and mushrooms in the tank, but the GSP still chokes everything else out. Plus it is completely covering my rock which prevents it from serving it purpose of providing beneficial bacteria to the tank.

Back