GSPs or Kenya Tree: Which one is more invasive, harder to control?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am currently finalizing a beginner’s coral list, and the major shift in my tank (this time it will be final) is that it will be a mixed reef of approximately 2/3 LPS and 1/3 soft corals. I would like to know which coral: GSPs or Kenya Tree, are more invasive and harder to control, so I can choose between one of the two.

As for the rest of my list, I’ll hold off on LPS corals until 3-4 months (maybe 4) after I start my tank. Here’s what I have planned so far:

Batch 1- Softies Only

1 frag Actinodiscus spp. Mushroom Coral (Actinodiscus spp.)

1 frag Rhodactis inchoata mussoides Mushroom Coral

1 frag Zoanthids (Zoanthus spp.)

1 frag Florida Ricordea Mushroom Coral (Ricordea florida)

1 frag Green Star Polyps (Briareum spp.) / Kenya Tree (Capnella spp.)

(Wait 4 months)

First Batch of LPS Corals-

1 frag Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sinuosa)

1 frag Branching Frogspawn Coral (Euphyllia paradivisa)

1 frag Duncan Coral (Duncanopsammia spp.)

1 frag Favites Pineapple Brain Coral (Favites spp.)

1 frag Candy Cane Coral / Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea curvata / Caulastrea furcata)

Second Batch of LPS Corals-

1 frag Green Cynarina Crystal Brain Coral (Cynarina lacrymalis)

1 frag Cat’s Eye Acanthophyllia Brain Coral (Acanthophyllia deshayesiana)

1 frag Australian Scolymia Coral (Scolymia Australis)- This will be my most expensive coral

1 frag Blastomussa Brain Coral (Blastomussa wellsi)

1 frag Tongue Coral (Polyphyllia spp.)

Third Batch of LPS Corals (tentative)

1 frag Lord Howe’s Acan Coral (Acanthastrea lordhowensis

1 frag Australian Elegance Coral (Cataphyllia)

1 frag Lobed Brain Coral (Lobophyllia hemprychii)

1 frag Platygyra Maze Brain Coral (Platygyra spp.)

1 frag Green Turbinaria Scroll Coral (Turbinaria peltata)

How does this list look? Any difficult / hard to care for species? Any compatibility issues?

I’ll be having 20 fish for my 6’ 180 so I hope fish waste and nutrients in the water will be enough to sustain these corals.

Would love insights. Thanks.

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both great beginner corals, GSP is invasive if not isolated. One great alternative to matting gsp, is the branching variety. It still mats a little but a lot less, it grows more in a branching form, and it’s pretty neat to look at in a large colony.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just don't let GSP touch your main rockwork and it's fine. some mushrooms can get kinda invasive too, although floridas should be fine. my mom's tank got taken over by some orange yumas

also a softies list without toadstools seems mega questionable just saying

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both great beginner corals, GSP is invasive if not isolated. One great alternative to matting gsp, is the branching variety. It still mats a little but a lot less, it grows more in a branching form, and it’s pretty neat to look at in a large colony.
Have not seen this! Sounds cool. Do you have any in your tank with pics by chance?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP is isolated on the top of a liverock column. This way it moves in the flow (tunze wavebox) a lot. It’s basically covered that spot for 5y without being a nuisance

809E6A50-EF9D-4C93-9DD7-80FF1C3C090D.jpeg

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis mushrooms may be aggressive (melted another one of my shrooms) but seem to be slow to reproduce. I’d try to add alveopora to your list, great alternative to goniopora and way cheaper and easier for the beginner to maintain. Imo, that doesn’t seem like enough corals for 180 gallons, but it’s your tank. I like a lot of variety but very little of each thing. Like my zoa garden has no more than 30 polyps of any one zoa but I have over 20 varieties. Some rock flower nems might look good if you’re hesitant about a bta, plus the ultra ones are super pretty, one of the most fluorescent corals I have. Duncan are also ‘beginner’ corals that look really pretty, especially that new lavender one from WWC (although it’s RIDICULOUSLY expensive). Is there a reason you’re avoiding euphyllia?

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not avoiding Euphyllia. As you can see from above, I am getting a Branching Frogspawn. Would you also suggest a hammer? I heard torches aren’t the easiest to maintain. Can Frogspawn and Hammer Corals get along though?

I’m going to recap what I have on my list so far. This is just an initial list to build from:

Softies-

1 Rhodactis Mushroom

1 Discosoma Mushroom

1 Florida Ricordea Mushroom

1 Branching GSPs

1 Toadstool Leather

1 Zoanthids

LPS Corals-

1 Branching Frogspawn

1 Bubble Coral

1 Trumpet / Candy Cane

1 Tongue Coral

1 Green Scroll Coral

1 Duncan Coral

1 Favites Brain Coral

1 Lobophyllia Brain Coral

1 Acanthophyllia Brain Coral

1 Cynarina Brain Coral

1 Acanthastrea Brain Coral

1 Blastomussa

1 Australian Elegance

1 Australian Scolymia

1 Platygyra Maze Brain Coral

1 Alveopora Flower Pot Coral

What else can I add?

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp can be kept on a small rock on the sand bed away from everything else. As it grows on the sand you can remove and take scissors and trim the growth off. Easy

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the big 3 that everyone warns about: Kenya trees, GSP, Xenia. The Xenia definitely grows the fastest for me. The Kenya trees are by far the hardest to control, though.

The main way Kenya trees spread is by dropping branches and the odds are against you that you notice every single one. Of course as they grow and spread the branches drop branches. Next thing you know you have Kenya trees growing out of caves and behind rocks and in the middle of your Xenia on the other end of the tank. The branches can attach themselves overnight and if you remove them can return from the tiniest bit left behind. I had a Kenya tree that we were certain had died in shipping. It completely melted in 24 hours and we were left with just the rock it came on. Or so we thought. Months later it is now probably 10 times bigger than the original frag was supposed to be. Kenya trees are hardy and sneaky!

I haven't seen my GSP to show any ability to spread beyond it's continuous mat but it is the newest of my softies so it's always possible there is behavior I haven't seen.

I'll add a vote for toadstools. That will probably be the first coral going into my new build.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry! Did not notice that addition in the thread. There are frog/hammer hybrid corals so I’m guessing they’d be just fine. I have a hammer garden out of 4 different hammers, 2 wall and 2 branching and they’re all just fine. Completely touching each other too. Acanthophyllia (meat corals) are super expensive and often surpass the price of a scoly, the lowest one I’ve seen was $500, of course there may be some cheaper than that. Were you talking about acan lords/enchinata? There are also many different colors and species of zoas/mushrooms, idk if you mean 1 section for each species of mushroom/zoa or just 1 variety, but many have multiple varieties in 1 section of the tank like and island or portion of rock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back