Guess my fallow didn’t work... PBT ich?

Deonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went fishless for 80 days and have had all my fish in QT but I guess I messed up the copper levels or something.

My powder blue tang is showing signs of ich as in the pictures below, but has not shown any unusual behaviour and continues to eat like a pig.

Mostly I see white spots on fins and face, hard to see on body.

Time to put him in QT?

652CC9E6-A1B6-4D5C-B2BE-87232FD74CA1.jpeg

390DFD0B-D0C1-476B-BC86-ADE21ACCCD81.jpeg

FoxyFace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks pretty bad. Can you catch and treat him? In my years of keeping fish, powder blues are at the top of the list as far as being a magnet for ich.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks pretty bad. Can you catch and treat him? In my years of keeping fish, powder blues are at the top of the list as far as being a magnet for ich.

I could probably catch and QT him within a day or two if need be. He’s not shy so hopefully an easier catch

OP
OP
D

Deonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like velvet. How recently was the fish QT'd/treated? Did you add anything wet to the fallow tank in the weeks before moving the fish back? How far away were the QT and Display tanks from each other?

Not sure on velvet vs ich, what makes you think velvet? They went through 30 day copper treatment, and only inverts were added during the fallow (I do not qt them) ... I’d hope that’s not the issue. The tanks are in separate areas of home

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything "wet" can restart the 76 day clock... inverts can absolutely carry in parasites, yours wouldn't be the first to taxi in velvet :(

I say velvet vs. ich mostly due to the size and sheer number of parasites visible. Though, admittedly @HotRocks and @4FordFamily have a better eye for the differences than I do. How long has he had symptoms?

OP
OP
D

Deonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes been showing spots for maybe a week now, it hasn’t really gotten worse on his body but today I noticed more in the pectoral fins.

Tbh I will probably treat this guy then move him to a new home, I’m a bit tired of dealing with ich/sensitive fish. The yellow tang, clowns, and royal gramma in my tank all seem fine.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything "wet" can restart the 76 day clock... inverts can absolutely carry in parasites, yours wouldn't be the first to taxi in velvet :(

I say velvet vs. ich mostly due to the size and sheer number of parasites visible. Though, admittedly @HotRocks and @4FordFamily have a better eye for the differences than I do. How long has he had symptoms?
I see ich, severe ich. Velvet is a possibility as well. Either way the treatment is the same. Time is of the essence either way when dealing with an acanthurus tang.

As @ngoodermuth mentioned, the invert is the likely culprit for introducing the parasite.

You will need to retreat all the fish in that system and go fallow for 76 days or the PBT will just be reinfected upon introduction.

OP
OP
D

Deonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see ich, severe ich. Velvet is a possibility as well. Either way the treatment is the same. Time is of the essence either way when dealing with an acanthurus tang.

As @ngoodermuth mentioned, the invert is the likely culprit for introducing the parasite.

You will need to retreat all the fish in that system and go fallow for 76 days or the PBT will just be reinfected upon introduction.

Thanks I will treat him tonight

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a severe bout of velvet in my tank, killing most fish. My culprit was a bunch of snails and hermits I added non-QT'd. Anything with a hard surface is a perfectly fit transporter.

OP
OP
D

Deonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to a very experienced fish keeper (currently breeds and sells fish out of home, formerly owned an LFS) and he says that as long as you do not introduce a new strain of ich into the tank (i.e. QT all new fish and make sure inverts come from invert only tanks) then ich can be eradicated within 11 months. He does this on client tanks, using only the hardiest of fish during the 11 months. He said that in a nut-shell the ich in-breeds itself to death ... has been tested in lab.

So I will remove my PBT and sell today, and will practice ich management for the rest of the year

BJcorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr gs anti parasite caviar helped me in the past. I could not remove my fish so I feed that everyday as a treat and it truly helps.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back