Guidance Needed - Methods, Equipment, Space Limitations

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I could use a little guidance. I'm about to get back into the hobby after a long absence, and I've been spending the last 6 months doing a lot of research. I think I have it narrowed down to the direction I want to go in. I'm looking at a 100g DT, 48x24x20. So far so good. But here is where I'm struggling. I now live in a 2nd floor condo, so space is at a premium for support equipment. I was drawn to using the Triton method to support my tank, both philosophically and the need for non-regular water changes is extremely attractive since I'm limited in my ability to generate large amounts of RODI water. But after deciding the DT I wanted, the need for an adequate sump needs to be taken in account. By the time I add a sump and ATO to the stand, I'm not sure where I could fit the dosing equipment and containers. Am I overlooking something? Should I abandon Triton (and the 'fuge), and try to figure out a way to do my routine maintenance with the restrictions I've got? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might require a little more maintenance on your part, but you could run a 100gal tank without a sump, as heretical as that sounds. HOB filters, skimmer, refugium or a chaeto reactor. Lots of room under the tank then for dosing equipment. Might not look as neat and tidy, but it will work.

To accommodate your current plan, could you put the dosing equipment on a shelf beside the tank, or bolted onto the side of the stand?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Hugh Mann suggestion. I ran a 90 and 180 on HOB equipment (but they were fish only).

I have a 240g with a 60g sump. My interior stand space was super tight with ATO. But I can say I could squeeze in a small dosing pump and a container if I needed (but I am probably going fish only).

If you haven’t purchased anything then you have plenty of time to plan and weigh your options. Good luck!

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a 24~30" long sump with your tank. You really only need space for socks or filter roller, a skimmer, and return pump. Then you have half of your stand space for everything else. Get an external algae reactor to run chaeto, it saves a lot of space than refugium.

BTW, even Triton methods need water change. It's just not regularly, but only when the test told you to. So you still need to have a feasible way to mix water for water change. If water change is super hard, you will be more likely to not doing water change when ICP test tells you to. That most the time I heard when people have trouble with their triton method tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s doable but not conventional for limited space. It comes down to which components are an absolute must have.

Back