Guidance on kalk pasting unwanted zoas

Bobblehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of zoas that are spreading rapidly onto areas where they are not wanted. I've read about people using kalk paste to kill them but am wondering how exactly they do this without spiking alk and pH. I currently use about 5 tsp worth of kalk per week in my 65 gallon tank so I can't imagine being able to use much paste before affecting the water chemistry too much. To mitigate this, I was thinking about letting the paste sit on the zoas for a few minutes and then siphoning out as much as I can. Also worried about possibly affecting the nearby zoas I want to keep.

I have thought about using forceps to pull them off but have to admit, the palytoxin issue worries me a bit.

Can anybody thats had success using this method to control zoas give a guy a few pointers? Thx!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using a pipette, make a paste with kalkwasser powder mixed into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and squirt over their heads or inject the same via syringe into their stems

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck using this method. I mix the paste thick and leave the power heads off for a bit so it hardens over the zoas. Just like killing aiptasia. It usually takes two times and my urchin will usually come and clean up the spot to bare rock.

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always just left it. I think it works best when it’s away from direct flow and the kalk stays completely covering them for a few days

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back