Guidance please!

bd_scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your interest!

I have two "smaller" pericula clowns and a live rock with a bunch of mushrooms. I recently upgraded tanks, switching from a 10 gal (yikes) to a 29 gallon. I had really started to neglect the tank before I made this switch, so the condition had gotten pretty poor. I really want to start seeing more purple algae growth and ensure I have healthy mushrooms. I really want to get to a point where I can get some anemones, but I thought it would be good if I could make sure I have a good grip on my current invertebrates before doing so. This is especially because I didn't incorporate much of the old water in the new tank, but I did transfer some of the gravel, and I'm thinking a lot about how the ecosystem still has to develop in this tank. I have phytoplankton ready to add but I haven't been able to decide if I should.

What steps can I take to have promote coralline algae and good conditions for the mushrooms? I do have issues with my purple algae "whiting" and I have gotten it to improve before by adjusting how long I have my lights on, but would appreciate some input :)

I added a whole bag of agra-alive gravel and a phosphate removing sponge. Currently I test for KH, phosphates, nitrates, pH, and calcium. The parameters are:
14 dKH (I haven't been able to find what dKH I should shoot for)
0.5-1ppm phosphates
0 nitrates
440 ppm calcium
8-8.2 pH

Also, is coralline algae in a bottle anything worth looking at?
Thanks again!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your interest!

I have two "smaller" pericula clowns and a live rock with a bunch of mushrooms. I recently upgraded tanks, switching from a 10 gal (yikes) to a 29 gallon. I had really started to neglect the tank before I made this switch, so the condition had gotten pretty poor. I really want to start seeing more purple algae growth and ensure I have healthy mushrooms. I really want to get to a point where I can get some anemones, but I thought it would be good if I could make sure I have a good grip on my current invertebrates before doing so. This is especially because I didn't incorporate much of the old water in the new tank, but I did transfer some of the gravel, and I'm thinking a lot about how the ecosystem still has to develop in this tank. I have phytoplankton ready to add but I haven't been able to decide if I should.

What steps can I take to have promote coralline algae and good conditions for the mushrooms? I do have issues with my purple algae "whiting" and I have gotten it to improve before by adjusting how long I have my lights on, but would appreciate some input :)

I added a whole bag of agra-alive gravel and a phosphate removing sponge. Currently I test for KH, phosphates, nitrates, pH, and calcium. The parameters are:
14 dKH (I haven't been able to find what dKH I should shoot for)
0.5-1ppm phosphates
0 nitrates
440 ppm calcium
8-8.2 pH

Also, is coralline algae in a bottle anything worth looking at?
Thanks again!
14 DKH is real high, however mine sits around 12 in a Mushroom heavy tank so not so bad all things considered. As for transferring the sand / gravel, I would simply transport the rock, a bit of your water and new sand throughout 100%
Secondarily, how old is the smaller tank and if it's been up for a little bit , and having moderate success why the fixation on the 'purple algae' ? If your shrooms are prolific in a smaller system, they are likely munching up the nutrients that will produce that coraline. So great right? If you've got even just a bit of purple or pink on your existing rock, and a healthy bunch of Mushrooms to transport, you are on your way....btw the Phos is fine, the Mushrooms will if in good shape help keep it in check.
As for propagation? I have always utilized live phyto to boost the zoo's in my softies....
Oh and if you can avoid anything 'in a bottle' why not?....Coraline in a bottle, I have heard of but why? Let's see how things go on this upgrade first before dosing all kinds of stuff... IMO

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back