Guide to DIY with T-Slot Aluminum

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People underestimate how immensely strong T-Slot aluminum is in comparison to wood (with reinforced connections). Read the article/see chart:

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I Made these for the sky LEDS on 8020 15 series . Customer was very happy with the fitment and look. Nylon washers and SS hex bolts included...

3216C055-826E-4D20-8BB5-062FE8C83D65.jpeg
9795C3F5-8F6B-4DEE-B7DD-096C2DD7FF57.jpeg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Made these for the sky LEDS on 8020 15 series . Customer was very happy with the fitment and look. Nylon washers and SS hex bolts included...

3216C055-826E-4D20-8BB5-062FE8C83D65.jpeg
9795C3F5-8F6B-4DEE-B7DD-096C2DD7FF57.jpeg
That is an awesome idea! You should look into these for other bolt patterns, like Eco/Kessil/AI

A 10$ T-Slot bar vs a 100$ stupidly overpriced manufacturer mount...

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is an awesome idea! You should look into these for other bolt patterns, like Eco/Kessil/AI
I already made them for the radions, also have them for the RMS rail, which I beleive will be outdated soon, 8020 will take over and be a standard in the aquarium industry!!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already made them for the radions, also have them for the RMS rail, which I beleive will be outdated soon, 8020 will take over and be a standard in the aquarium industry!!
you selling these in classifieds? would be glad to link you in the article to tank mount options

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you selling these in classifieds? would be glad to link you in the article to tank mount options
I have not listed them, but that would be awesome, I'm greatful for any help I can get.

the reason why I have not listed them is because Im not sure of the demand for such an item.. I will definitely list them tomorrow morning, and Im thankful for any help I can get from anyone...

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be upgrading to a 400 gallon tank (8ft x 3ft) once I move in the summer. Do you think extruded aluminum would be able to hold up that much weight? Would I have to add a few cross braces to help support the weight? I really like this idea over wood as wood cabinets and saltwater never really work out in the long run.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to be upgrading to a 400 gallon tank (8ft x 3ft) once I move in the summer. Do you think extruded aluminum would be able to hold up that much weight? Would I have to add a few cross braces to help support the weight? I really like this idea over wood as wood cabinets and saltwater never really work out in the long run.
I have seen a 1000 gallon tank on aluminum t slot frames, has gussets, three row frame, and crossbars. It was a beast of a frame, but it looked really nice. The glass on the tank was 1” thick.

I’ll post some pictures next week, as I will see that tank on Saturday.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you’ll likely want to go a larger diameter and use cross bracing and should work great

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The aluminum will hold no problem but I would never design it yourself unless you are an engineer or trained in it in some way.

My 250g tank is on an aluminum stand I got from Chris Benner (he built the BRS stands and Ryan's personal tank stand.) I buily my own light rack from Zyltech and would never trust their connectors on a tank my size. Especially since their 90 degree connectors are pointless and don't hold at all. The plates are much better but will be in your way if you plan to skin the stand.

My stand uses 4040 and 4080 series aluminum and that will defintely hold a 400 gallon tank if properly built. The connectors are the key piece here and the most important. One weak connection and the stand can fold in on itself.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aluminum will hold no problem but I would never design it yourself unless you are an engineer or trained in it in some way.

My 250g tank is on an aluminum stand I got from Chris Benner (he built the BRS stands and Ryan's personal tank stand.) I buily my own light rack from Zyltech and would never trust their connectors on a tank my size. Especially since their 90 degree connectors are pointless and don't hold at all. The plates are much better but will be in your way if you plan to skin the stand.

My stand uses 4040 and 4080 series aluminum and that will defintely hold a 400 gallon tank if properly built. The connectors are the key piece here and the most important. One weak connection and the stand can fold in on itself.
I agree with most of this, I won’t use zyltech hardware anymore (I do like their plates) but I don’t think you necessarily need it engineered by a professional - just a basic understanding of building things and careful measurement/quality parts. If you could build a wood stand, you can build a Tslot.

With cross bracing to support the top weight at intervals, the tank wouldn’t be reliant on any one connection point - the more cross bracing the more redundancy in load strength. Even if a corner plate failed somehow, the other connection points in that bar would hold it in place and prevent collapse (sure if there was no cross bracing it would collapse - but that would be very unadvisable in a med+ size tank)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with most of this, I won’t use zyltech hardware anymore (I do like their plates) but I don’t think you necessarily need it engineered by a professional - just a basic understanding of building things and careful measurement/quality parts. If you could build a wood stand, you can build a Tslot.

With cross bracing to support the top weight at intervals, the tank wouldn’t be reliant on any one connection point - the more cross bracing the more redundancy in load strength. Even if a corner plate failed somehow, the other connection points in that bar would hold it in place and prevent collapse (sure if there was no cross bracing it would collapse - but that would be very unadvisable in a med+ size tank)

I could take my stand design and easily convert it an 8 foot tank. Assuming they make 8 foot runs.

Zyltech aluminum is good but I would find much better connectors from someone else. Who are you using?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could take my stand design and easily convert it an 8 foot tank. Assuming they make 8 foot runs.

Zyltech aluminum is good but I would find much better connectors from someone else. Who are you using?
I used all zyltech, no issue with the bars or plates. Trying to take apart a stand I stripped out like all the screws/bolts because they were such soft metal, so I wouldn’t use their hardware anymore.

I did notice I got what seemed like 2 different types of plates before, I sent back the ones I didn’t like. Id guess they just purchase from whoever in china I doubt they’re manufacturing any of it. They are really more of a 3d printing company

I’ll definitely try someone new next time I have a build

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used all zyltech, no issue with the bars or plates. Trying to take apart a stand I stripped out like all the screws/bolts because they were such soft metal, so I wouldn’t use their hardware anymore.

I did notice I got what seemed like 2 different types of plates before, I sent back the ones I didn’t like. Id guess they just purchase from whoever in china I doubt they’re manufacturing any of it. They are really more of a 3d printing company

I’ll definitely try someone new next time I have a build

8020 had some good looking connectors. They are a 2 screw long connector or something like that. Might be worth using Zyltech extrusions but 8020 hardware. 8020 was about twice the cost as Zyltech for my light rack. I don't remember if it was the connectors or aluminum or both that raised the price

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Somewhat limited selection but super cheap Tnutz.com

Ordered many times and never had problems.

For the whole gamut of accessories etc check out framingtech.com

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I managed to take some pictures to share with you today of my friend's 500 gallon, I thought it was a 1000G but was mistaken... Hope this will help you understand the dynamics of the setup...

IMG_0694[1].JPG
IMG_0692[1].JPG
IMG_0687[1].JPG

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to take some pictures to share with you today of my friend's 500 gallon, I thought it was a 1000G but was mistaken... Hope this will help you understand the dynamics of the setup...

IMG_0694[1].JPG
IMG_0692[1].JPG
IMG_0687[1].JPG
That looks awesome!

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody put functional doors on something like this? Not looking for non functional panel slide ins. Love the concept, but that look...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back