Guide to Newbies: How to train, and feed Nori to our tangs

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teaching tangs to eat nori is relatively simple. If one fish in a tank know how to eat nori, the rest of the herbivores will learn in short order. However, if this is a new tank, and none of the tangs have seen nori before, they need to learn how to see nori as food. I normally put the nori clip in the tank. As the nori stay in the water for a day or two, it will start to come apart and low in the water. Eventually the tang will take a bite and find out that this is food and goes after the nori on the clip with gusto. This method has never failed me. All my tangs eat nori and graze the algae in my tank as primary food.

Almost every reefer who keeps tangs and other herbivores feed nori to their fishes so this is nothing new. However, I am always into doing things quick, cheap and easy. Over the years, I have change the ways I feed my tank nori. This is the way I currently do this. It is very efficient, quick, and easy and does not, ever, result in loose nori flowing around the tank. It does not get my finger wet other than the very tip of my finger. All of these are very important reasons for me.

At this time, my fish eat two 10X10 sheets of nori per day. Once in a while, or sometime I asked my wife to get sushi nori, the largest pack for me. The cheapest is bulk nori that comes in 100 sheets per pack. I get the roasted dry nori with no additive that is for sale at various Asian Markets. In the past these cost around $10.00 but lately the price have increased to about $16.00 or so. The mark up for various fish food company to take these and repack and sell them as fish food is enormous.

I use the all plastic suction cuff attached clips that are common sell at LFS, Petco in my case. The clips I use are Ocean Nutrition clips, pictured below. First I removed the suction cuff. The use a heavy, 10 lbs or so, fish line to attach to the hole where the suction cuff attached to, use enough fish line to suspend the clip up to about 2 inches deep from the surface of the water. Shorter, shallow has a big advantage over long, deep suspension. The clip stays where you want it and does not tangle with other things in the tank. With light exposure lighter fish line tend to not last as long.

Pictures worth thousand words, this is how I fold the nori. Through experiences, by the end of the day, all the nori is gone, other than the small piece in the clip. When I put the new piece of nori in, I just drop the leftover nori into the tank and the fishes will go after it and eat it in a few minutes. There is no nori wasted. For refill, I just pull the clip up and attach the new nori. Suspension with a fish line has a huge advantage over attach to a solid structure because this keep invertebrates from grazing on the nori. I have a large number of snails and sea urchin in my tank. I used to have a huge abalone. Abalone and snails are smart, they remember where the food source is at and once they know, they keep on return to the same place to graze. They also sleep at the same place during the day every day so I know that they don’t just randomly move around the tank.

Ocean Nutrition clip, but any all plastic clip with ways to attach a fish line into it would be fine:
IMG_0404.jpg

I use multiple clips for my tank. This defuses aggression between the tangs and the most aggressive on will not monopoly the clip, all fish will get heir share. If the clip stays wet all the time, algae will eventually grow on it, and the fish line to make it look unsightly. I never pull them out to clean them, rather, I have several clips and just leave each clip and fish line dry every few days for a day or two. This will keep algae grow on it and thus it will look clean all the time.
IMG_0400.jpg

Regarding how to attach the nori to the clip, one can do it anyway they like, however this is how I choose to do this and it works. I don’t want a large sheet hanging loose and flab in the current because it will break loose and float. As I attached it, the fish will rips small pieces off it at a time. Never large chunks they cannot swallow.
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Finally, the results. Here are a few pictures of my tangs. These pictures are taken to try to show how fat they are. My very very dear PBT goes from the first picture to current picture. And my Yellow tang is fat and happy.
PBT2018042201.jpg

PBT2020091301.jpg

YellowTang2019062401.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I am doing this right, didn’t see how to reply to @OrionN article on feeding nori. I understood the basics but got the impression that the nori clip is suspended about 2” or so off the bottom of the tank, but the one photo in the article looks like it is floating at the top. Could you please clarify? Also you said you feed 2 sheets per day, how big are the sheets and how many mouths does that feed? Just want to get some idea for future reference. By the way thank you for writing the article, well done.
One of the Mod turn on the discussion tab so will answer the questions here.

I recommended that the clip suspended near the top, just right under the water surface. This way it doe snot float around and tangle up with the rock and corals.
I only have three tangs, PBT, Purple and Yellow, all fairly big, but my angels and wrasses also eat nori. I feed two 10X10 sheets of nori each day. Refil them in AM in two clips.

I throw in a 4in square of nori once a day. It floats and then eventually sinks. My cleaners shrimp usually is the first after it and tears it to bits. I have 1 juvenile tang in the tank, what it doesn't eat the hermits and snails finish off when it sinks.

Following to see what others do.
My tank have very high flow, throwing the sheet of nori into the tank is not going to do it for me. It will just clog up my overflow.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the Mod turn on the discussion tab so will answer the questions here.

I recommended that the clip suspended near the top, just right under the water surface. This way it doe snot float around and tangle up with the rock and corals.
I only have three tangs, PBT, Purple and Yellow, all fairly big, but my angels and wrasses also eat nori. I feed two 10X10 sheets of nori each day. Refil them in AM in two clips.

My tank have very high flow, throwing the sheet of nori into the tank is not going to do it for me. It will just clog up my overflow.
Thank you for your reply, I have re-read your article and understand now it is suspended near the top. Are you timing your string to the frame of your netting?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, I have re-read your article and understand now it is suspended near the top. Are you timing your string to the frame of your netting?
No I tied the string to the light frame. This tank is in the fish room so it really does not matter that I have the string handing down from the light set. In free standing tanks, anywhere under the hood is OK, as long as it does not look ugly from the front.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd like to train mine to eat Nori. LOL - I added two 6x8" sheets a couple of hours ago and it was gone in roughly 80 seconds !!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow your hands are beautiful can you send me some more pics

"hands"=tangs?
I post tons of pictures. People think I am a show off. If you looks at my posts, you will see a lot of my pictures.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up @OrionN I place my clip at the top above a gyre. The tangs and foxface nip at it quite fast. Odd you say wrasses eat it as mine do too. Perhaps the added garlic in the one I use?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the write up @OrionN !

Tamgs eat it too fast over hear also but I do place the clip near the top and everyone eats it.

We use 2 clips one on each side and the funnest is to watch the clown goby and wrasse go for the clip that the tangs ignore. Its like the scored and eat it before the tangs do hahah

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up @OrionN !

Tamgs eat it too fast over hear also but I do place the clip near the top and everyone eats it.

We use 2 clips one on each side and the funnest is to watch the clown goby and wrasse go for the clip that the tangs ignore. Its like the scored and eat it before the tangs do hahah
I’m surprised other wrasses eat nori too. I thought mine were just being strange. They more so peck at it out of curiosity as opposed to biting off chunks however.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great stuff!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m surprised other wrasses eat nori too. I thought mine were just being strange. They more so peck at it out of curiosity as opposed to biting off chunks however.
My cleaner wrasse eats it as well as engineer goby, and potters angel

landshark777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice! Thanks for the useful info.My Sailfin Tang makes a huge mess when I hang it from the suction cup inside the tank. A fellow Corpus Christian reefer
Outer Space Thumbs Up GIF by NASA

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DIY mod to offer that I find helpful for feeding nori. I made a mesh envelope out of leftover plastic mesh from a tank cover kit. It is the same mesh as Orion uses and is on his tank in his pics. I took a rectangle of it, folded it in half and then secured 2 sides with zip ties. The unsecured side allows the folded up nori sheets to be slipped in and then clamped with the algae clip. It stops my tangs from tearing off too large of pieces that get lost in the flow.

Dennis

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go @Aldrinlights

I was going to take a photo of the in-use one, but decided showing a new one being made would be better and be algae free.

ACtC-3fZ2k501RBjq_0avVTd99F1CWqM4eGPISt44jQiZG_ILG4ycvbVlCCbT5iK3UkGY3y_gLAFpIiYfCezSRy4qVPCSz9JzEj4Ha_4UlTp2lRjGwrAjCE8nfp41MFBSfGOvIpQxK1iqKZTUZ3N6IYRS74sdQ=w717-h956-no
ACtC-3cLPbMMzCay5XevPqsgP8NnKVJf99D7CqKQYieEqYjSQJ4NVGXQyHrigKwK3JBbNd4xCE2deLIJnyrjvQHs34GRLzS0L0gBbl_WI4sVH2134-W-3RlyNCuhp7IdbY1IAvqjoROym31LDA4ZNlOgLrVctw=w717-h956-no
ACtC-3ergm4yhytVGiJp-eqlRgAsP3iXmPShvu2xoejpxjgGOZrTiQhgUHbOIIO_JtVONUWOqP2FgNGZhInk9-gSovDHd2z5v7_jk4oOTtaqheGIE3Rc_bhbuP30dTEkXnMnAqFwHv2abP8gjXVIJ1FQ2ePFlQ=w717-h956-no

Simply clip it in tank with an algae clip and your tangs can now take bite sized pieces without tearing off huge chunks.

Dennis

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back