Gulf live rock hitchhiker help

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any aiptasia in the pictures. Looks like a blurry picture of a dictoya algae to Mr in that 5th pic.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like aiptasia tentacles to me, but I suppose it could be dictoya. Easy way to check- poke it with something, or blow on it with a pipette. If it's aiptasia, it'll retract.

Not sure what kind of clam it is, but if I'm seeing this right, it looks like its shell is open. That would mean it's dead, if so. Probably the same kind as the rest. Maybe a turkey wing? Doesn't really matter much, care is about the same for most clams.

It might harm a clam if you let it inhale the aiptasia-X. Just tap hard on the clam to scare it into closing, then kill the aiptasia.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aiptasia tentacles to me, but I suppose it could be dictoya. Easy way to check- poke it with something, or blow on it with a pipette. If it's aiptasia, it'll retract.

Not sure what kind of clam it is, but if I'm seeing this right, it looks like its shell is open. That would mean it's dead, if so. Probably the same kind as the rest. Maybe a turkey wing? Doesn't really matter much, care is about the same for most clams.

It might harm a clam if you let it inhale the aiptasia-X. Just tap hard on the clam to scare it into closing, then kill the aiptasia.
It’s aiptasia, I poked it and it retracted.

It still seems weird to me that it’s a clam. There’s white moving stuff on it, and it seems like a type of coral to me. The white stuff was not there before I fed the phyto, and when I poked it it was soft, so maybe not a clam?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's be sure we're looking at the same thing.

AAA Upload.png

This looks to me like an open clam shell, with the open side down. I see what looks like the hinge. It looks like it's encrusted in all sorts of algae and such. If the white on it appeared after it died, that's probably rot, fungus, or bits of clam. Or worms. Or some combination thereof.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be sure we're looking at the same thing.

AAA Upload.png

This looks to me like an open clam shell, with the open side down. I see what looks like the hinge. It looks like it's encrusted in all sorts of algae and such. If the white on it appeared after it died, that's probably rot, fungus, or bits of clam. Or worms. Or some combination thereof.
That’s what I thought too, but when I poked what would’ve been the shell, it was very soft and almost squishy. You’re probably right about it being a clam, it just seems weird to me that it’d be soft.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How hard did you poke it? Probably the stuff on it is soft, and that's what you're feeling.

Is it attached to anything? Could always pull it out and have a closer look. Should be pretty obvious if it's an open clamshell then.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard did you poke it? Probably the stuff on it is soft, and that's what you're feeling.

Is it attached to anything? Could always pull it out and have a closer look. Should be pretty obvious if it's an open clamshell then.
I poked it hard enough that I should’ve felt a shell, if there was one. I’ll poke it harder in the morning, and if I can’t feel a shell I won’t remove it. If I can feel a shell then I’ll try to remove it. It does seem to be attached to the rock.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is seems dead. I got a decent picture of it in the rock, but it hasn’t moved since then.

C5B72426-9D31-49CC-87DF-9004845B7235.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back