Gulf Live Rock macroalgae ID

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these macroalgae? I'm especially interested in the green shoot. I have a few of them throughout the tank.

DSC_0296.JPG
DSC_0291.JPG
DSC_0295.JPG

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green one is neomeris, not so sure on the other ones although they all good algaes to have

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green one is neomeris, not so sure on the other ones although they all good algaes to have
Could the neomeris become a problem? It seems like some people have had trouble curbing it?

2nd looks like dragons breath and the third looks like ogo.
Thanks! What about the purple bubble stuff to the left of the ogo?

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spots on that "ogo" makes me think Bugula, a filter feeder bryoza. They come in brown, tan, pink, red, purple.. they use these little white polyp-like to feed.

Hard to tell in the image, does it look scaley (like a lizards tail or immature pinecone) or smooth?

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spots on that "ogo" makes me think Bugula, a filter feeder bryoza. They come in brown, tan, pink, red, purple.. they use these little white polyp-like to feed.

Hard to tell in the image, does it look scaley (like a lizards tail or immature pinecone) or smooth?
It looks smooth to me. I don't think its that bryoza, though that would be awesome. I actually have at least 3 colonies of the "ogo."

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I can't help you with the macro ID...

Were you happy with the rock? Any pictures of all of it? I'm re-doing one of my tanks, this time with live rock, and I am curious about their rock. How porous is it? How full of encrusting life? Aiptasia?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic: Looks very small but I agree and think it might be neomeris.

Second pic: Honestly not too sure, it looks very small and the pic is a little blurry. But the main stem looks like a piece of some type of gracilaria or something similar.

Third pic: On the left it looks like possibly red bubble algae. Some people consider it a nuisance. but I'd love to have some in my macro tank. On the right, I'm not sure. The branches look rigid so maybe galaxaura but the growth pattern seems different. Usually galaxaura branches look thicker and grow in much denser, sort of bush-like pattern.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I can't help you with the macro ID...

Were you happy with the rock? Any pictures of all of it? I'm re-doing one of my tanks, this time with live rock, and I am curious about their rock. How porous is it? How full of encrusting life? Aiptasia?

I am beyond happy with the live rock. This is my first reef tank and it is without a doubt the best purchase I've made. Some of the coralline is plating right off of the rock. I love the rock so much that I almost don't want to buy corals. I definitely will be avoiding the aggressive encrusting corals. The rock came with some gorilla crabs and a bit of bubble algae (I've only seen three individual bubbles so far). No Aiptasia (I'm told that the Aiptasia that comes on the gulf rock is a different species than the really aggressive aiptasia common in the hobby). I see pests like this as inevitable in any reef tank so I'm really not worried about any of it. I didn't dip the rock at all. I just plopped it right in the tank. For the first few weeks I was hunting crabs, but that could be avoided by putting the rock in a quarantine and pulling the pests as the come out of the rock.

First pic: Looks very small but I agree and think it might be neomeris.

Second pic: Honestly not too sure, it looks very small and the pic is a little blurry. But the main stem looks like a piece of some type of gracilaria or something similar.

Third pic: On the left it looks like possibly red bubble algae. Some people consider it a nuisance. but I'd love to have some in my macro tank. On the right, I'm not sure. The branches look rigid so maybe galaxaura but the growth pattern seems different. Usually galaxaura branches look thicker and grow in much denser, sort of bush-like pattern.

Overall, it sounds like I should wait for the macros to grow in a little more for a better ID. They are still quite small.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am beyond happy with the live rock. This is my first reef tank and it is without a doubt the best purchase I've made. Some of the coralline is plating right off of the rock. I love the rock so much that I almost don't want to buy corals. I definitely will be avoiding the aggressive encrusting corals. The rock came with some gorilla crabs and a bit of bubble algae (I've only seen three individual bubbles so far). No Aiptasia (I'm told that the Aiptasia that comes on the gulf rock is a different species than the really aggressive aiptasia common in the hobby). I see pests like this as inevitable in any reef tank so I'm really not worried about any of it. I didn't dip the rock at all. I just plopped it right in the tank. For the first few weeks I was hunting crabs, but that could be avoided by putting the rock in a quarantine and pulling the pests as the come out of the rock.

Overall, it sounds like I should wait for the macros to grow in a little more for a better ID. They are still quite small.
Lol. I am still hunting crabs from my KP aquatics rock. I also just plopped it in my tank. I'm going to try Gulf Live Rock for my new tank.
Thanks for the info!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know what you mean about the corals. I like the look of the rocks and want to keep a few bare spots!

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan! I've heard a lot of good things about Gulf Live Rock and I've been think about emailing them to see if I could specifically request pieces with interesting macro algae or sponges. I've bought most macros you can find from online vendors so now I want to try and find some real oddball stuff. So based on what you got, I might send them an email!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back