Gulf live rock shipment in...and some ID ?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another something new(ish). I have seen an orange colored (what I thought was) sponge on top of this one rock. This morning when the lights came on, I noticed it taking shape, rather than being an orange ... Blob.
It looks kind of pretty, whatever it is.

Frisk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another something new(ish). I have seen an orange colored (what I thought was) sponge on top of this one rock. This morning when the lights came on, I noticed it taking shape, rather than being an orange ... Blob.
Looks like a tunicate to me, Got lucky with that one, they're beautiful but filter feeders so they need to be fed if you want to keep them long term.

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a tunicate to me, Got lucky with that one, they're beautiful but filter feeders so they need to be fed if you want to keep them long term.
Wow, that's pretty cool. That would be the 3rd or 4th kind of tunicate that I have... Makes me happy, I must be doing something correct, so far. I have had this rock for 3 weeks (tomorrow), and it's still kicking. Along with a couple other tunicates, as well as everything else that came in with the live rock. I am sure the Caribbean rose coral has grown, and the gorgonian still looks healthy, to me. The star coral, on the other hand, I can't tell if anything is good or bad with it...it still looks the same.

I will definitely have to order some phyto to see if I can keep these things alive.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys get any quality pics of hitchhikers send them to me and Ill add them to my id page on my website. Thanks Dan

Dan,
Glad to see you here. Are you still diving this time of year. Any plans to bring in more dry rock to be inoculated. Even after a year, I continue to see different stuff sprouting on GLR you collected from last Easter.
Patrick

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally buy next day air freight for diver collected rock. I have opted out of shipping in water because when something dies, if it’s shipped in water, it will spread contamination. I prefer shipped damp & wrapped covered in paper. When you pay $0.80 per lb and Water weighs 8.4 lbs per gallon, I pre&er not on shipping water.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On both of my < 1 yr old tanks, I established nitrification bacteria in dry aragonite substrate prior to receiving GLR. There was no ammonia spike when I added live rock. I choose not to add fish who grazed on new sprouts, to further evaluate what I wanted, not what survived the CUC. Urchins, crabs along with rabbits & tangs are aggressive grazers which can be added when needed. I prefer to be the first curator.

First two pictures are 55G & 30G both at 11 months young. Last picture is 25 year mature 75G tank with some GLR from 11 months ago that have gorgonions and red tree sponges emerging. Excuse dirty glass, it’s Spring garden planting time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On both of my < 1 yr old tanks, I established nitrification bacteria in dry aragonite substrate prior to receiving GLR. There was no ammonia spike when I added live rock. I choose not to add fish who grazed on new sprouts, to further evaluate what I wanted, not what survived the CUC. Urchins, crabs along with rabbits & tangs are aggressive grazers which can be added when needed. I prefer to be the first curator.

First two pictures are 55G & 30G both at 11 months young. Last picture is 25 year mature 75G tank with some GLR from 11 months ago that have gorgonions and red tree sponges emerging. Excuse dirty glass, it’s Spring garden planting time.
Really nice looking tanks you got there !!
I actually started my 10g very similar to what you did with yours. Only I had dry rock that I started to seed with the dry sand, for about 1 month prior to getting the live rock shipmens in from GLR & TBS.
As soon as the ocean rock came in, the dry rock went into a brute can, along with the remaining dry rock that was soaking.

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a full tank shot of the 10g. It was originally going to be a holding tank for observation while I got either my 20g, or my 40 breeder going. But... I just got the ok from the wife to put a bigger tank in the living room, so it looks like I will be going with either a 75 or a 90 ! :D :cool: :p

Attachments

• PXL_20220329_224513760.jpg
    PXL_20220329_224513760.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 79

Frisk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a short clip of something else, I think is another kind of tunicate. I'm still working on the quality of pictures and videos though...

Looks like a bivalve of some sort that has burrowed into the rocks. I got quite of few of these on my order but not much else. You got some cools stuff!

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No April fools here. Tampa Bay to upstate NY in less than 24 hours. Unidentified crab and octopus didn't make the flight from GLR. 30 second swish in ready saltwater, then into the only tank I have room for. Of course it's an Evo. Dug it out of the garage a few weeks ago. I got the nano pack, 19lbs shipped. Life has perked up in the last 15 minutes. Good stuff.
20220401_171251.jpg
20220401_171206.jpg

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No April fools here. Tampa Bay to upstate NY in less than 24 hours. Unidentified crab and octopus didn't make the flight from GLR. 30 second swish in ready saltwater, then into the only tank I have room for. Of course it's an Evo. Dug it out of the garage a few weeks ago. I got the nano pack, 19lbs shipped. Life has perked up in the last 15 minutes. Good stuff.
20220401_171251.jpg
20220401_171206.jpg
Very good looking rock ! I got some rock from TBS as well. Even though their primary shipping method is air freight and you pick it up from the airport, I am working 7 days a week, and couldn't get to an airport, which is over 2 hour drive, one way. These girls helped me out and shipped mine overnight through UPS. Amazing customer service, rapid communication through emails, and overall great rock !
I will be using both companies again when it comes time to upgrade to my bigger tank !

Feel free to post up more pics as you see more life !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I couldn't get pics (phone was not close by) earlier this week, I saw an all white crab that had what looked like spikey thorns all over it's legs. Pretty sure I saw a leopard flatworm too... That would explain where a few of my snails have gone too...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back