Gulf live rock shipment in...and some ID ?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hers a couple pics of mine.
IMG_4602.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG
Phenomenal looking rock, especially with all of the different encrusting algae hues! You might want to remove the Dictyota in the first image though (or let the urchin, at the bottom of the image, consume it); it could become invasive:
https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide
C0864A5E-B23F-4D1B-9F0A-739FA81BECE0.jpeg

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phenomenal looking rock, especially with all of the different encrusting algae hues! You might want to remove the Dictyota in the first image though (or let the urchin, at the bottom of the image, consume it); it could become invasive:
https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide
C0864A5E-B23F-4D1B-9F0A-739FA81BECE0.jpeg
Thanks for the info. I will manually remove that if the urchins don't. I actually have 2 of those urchins that I have spotted so far. I will be moving this rock to my display in 3-4 weeks. Right now just giving it QT/Fallow time to be sure No Ick or Velvet
I would like to know what that large coral on the left is. It is actually encrusted some sort of clam and it moves when the clam opens and closes.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Solga

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of really good info in this !!
As soon as I can figure out how to get a picture of it, I have identified something else in my live rock also. Last night as my lights were wind down, I thought that I maybe had another aiptasia...but as I got to looking, all I could really see was these clear tentacles, (maybe 5-10mm long) with little tiny balls on the end of each tentacle, sticking out of the live rock. It looks as if they are coming out from inside the rock in a circular hole.
I tried to get pictures, and even turned off all of the flow, and tried to get pictures from the top, but everything was kinda blurry and hard to make out.
After a little while of searching on the links that everyone provided, and a little google searching, I have figured out that I have a hidden cup coral !!

One thing I can tell everyone who is new to getting live rock from the Gulf of Mexico, and looking for identification. Instead of just searching for "cup coral", "star coral", "rose coral", etc put the word "Caribbean" in front of them, and the search will result in a whole bunch of relevant information, rather than pictures of flowers, or 'coral' colored decorations.

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this little guy today... (Edit: video wouldn't show, and a picture isn't clear enough). Looks like a tiny 1/8" nassarius snail.

And the corky finger is definitely looking better, and actually extending polyp tips now... and even though the colors aren't lively, I kinda like this thing. PXL_20220315_221432797.jpg

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this little guy today...
And the corky finger is definitely looking better, and actually extending polyp tips now... and even though the colors aren't lively, I kinda like this thing. PXL_20220315_221432797.jpg
I would consider that a prize coral if you can keep it alive and growing. The ones that come in on the rock may not pop, but I think they look great on the rock.

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider that a prize coral if you can keep it alive and growing. The ones that come in on the rock may not pop, but I think they look great on the rock.
I couldn't agree more ! My caribbean rose coral is actually doing pretty good too... Under blues, it has a little more bling to it tho. Lol

Attachments

• PXL_20220315_225037459.jpg
    PXL_20220315_225037459.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 108

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find it now, but this thing was crawling on the back glass this morning when the lights came on... About the length of my pinky nail, but the witdth of a pencil...

Attachments

• PXL_20220322_115451598.jpg
    PXL_20220322_115451598.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some type of polyclad worm?
I looked it up, and although I can't ID a specific species, it appears you are right. Here is a video of the flatworm moving... Looks as if it has eye stalks and a bushy type tail...
Small update also, about a half hour ago I seen it crawling on the front glass, so I removed it.

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the video a few dozen times, I'm not so sure it isn't some kind of nudibranch, instead of a flatworm...

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the video a few dozen times, I'm not so sure it isn't some kind of nudibranch, instead of a flatworm...
I am no expert on these, but I am seeing rhinopores (the pair of tentacles on the front) and cerata (the gill plume on the back) on the creature, which are characteristic of nudibranchs.
Sea Slugs: Characteristics, habitats, reproductions and more

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert on these, but I am seeing rhinopores (the pair of tentacles on the front) and cerata (the gill plume on the back) on the creature, which are characteristic of nudibranchs.
Sea Slugs: Characteristics, habitats, reproductions and more
Thank you for that picture and the explanation!! I was trying to figure out what the bushy tail (gill) thing was, but didn't quite know how to describe it to look it up.
The coloration & markings of the one that was crawling on my glass kinda threw me off too. My eyes are not good enough to get a good look at it, without some kind of magnification, like through my phone.
Thanks again !

Bert47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, it's in the title of this thread. :cool: But yeah, just like a couple others have said, it's from gulf live rock . com. It's the 17 pound nano package, and I had it shipped overnight to my door. Very little die off, and a nice ocean smell. So far, no mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp, or gorilla crabs.

Thank you for the pics and the explanation ! I'll probably just rinse mine I the 5 gallon buckets that I used the first time then.

Thank you !! I am more than pleased with them :D
Gulf life rock
I live on the gulf coast in Mississippi so I thought he was just talking about rock that came out of the Gulf of Mexico lol. I wonder if gulf live rock is in driving distance of me?

OP
OP
Solga

Solga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the gulf coast in Mississippi so I thought he was just talking about rock that came out of the Gulf of Mexico lol. I wonder if gulf live rock is in driving distance of me?

As far as I know, the company Gulf Live Rock, as well as Tampa Bay Saltwater, are located in Tampa Florida. Not sure of the driving distance, but I have used both companies, and have nothing but good things to say about both of them !!

Bert47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, the company Gulf Live Rock, as well as Tampa Bay Saltwater, are located in Tampa Florida. Not sure of the driving distance, but I have used both companies, and have nothing but good things to say about both of them !!
Probably a little further than I would like to drive but shipping to my door should be fine I think I’m about 10 hours away. Should stay wet for that long with minimal die off if any.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back