Gulf LR in new tank- dark cycle in sump, or in brute can?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you should do what you want about hitchhikers, it’s your tank. That being said I have only used real liverock from the ocean over the past 20 years in the hobby. I have only ever had one truly bad hitchhiker, 2 fireworms. I’ve used liverock from Fiji, Tonga, Australia, tbs saltwater, and KP aquatics. The fireworms came in on KP but were very easily removed. Hitchhiker issues are totally overblown in the hobby IMHO.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your KP rock shipped in water. I did. Cycles in a few days ... like 3 days. Shipping cost more but well worth it.

OP
OP
WeberKettleGuy

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you should do what you want about hitchhikers, it’s your tank. That being said I have only used real liverock from the ocean over the past 20 years in the hobby. I have only ever had one truly bad hitchhiker, 2 fireworms. I’ve used liverock from Fiji, Tonga, Australia, tbs saltwater, and KP aquatics. The fireworms came in on KP but were very easily removed. Hitchhiker issues are totally overblown in the hobby IMHO.
This is great to hear, thank you!

OP
OP
WeberKettleGuy

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your KP rock shipped in water. I did. Cycles in a few days ... like 3 days. Shipping cost more but well worth it.

Yeah, it’s expensive, but well worth it from what I’ve read of others experience. Hence why I’m trying to make 15 pounds work instead of buying 40 pounds. I really like the look of the pukani dry rock and how it scapes too. I think in the end, I’ll have a pukani scape on one side, and the kp live rock pile on the other side.

Back