gullible could use some help with his proclaimed peacefull and hardy powder blue tang

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends,

I'm fairly new to the salt and clearly very naive.

I'm getting my new 4ft 125 going after moving across the state. It's had a cardinal in it about a month, two small clowns for 3 weeks, and the CUC.
Last week, I found a LFS and stopped by looking for something new to add to the tank. I told them about the status of the tank, that I was planning on doing SPS dominant targeting lower nutrients, and mentioned I was thinking about a tang at some point, but figured that should be a later add. The two gentlemen I was talking with said that adding a tang now would be ideal because they create a lot of waste and I could work on exporting that before I had all the coral in the tank.

Sounded like a great idea to me, so we went to look at tangs. I ended up with a powder blue tang because it was decently cheep, and I was told they were the most hardy and peaceful of tangs.

I'm sure many of are already laughing at that statement. The tang was great. It was swimming all about, occasionally eating the new tank ulgies off the rock, and had no problems with the clowns or the cardinal.

Today I went back to the same store and after saying no to a copper band butterfly, ended up with a long-nose butterfly. I acclimated it and added it to the tank. The second it hit the water the PB tang was on it with murder in it's eyes. I remembered an old trick from my freshwater days and ran a grabbed a mirror and put it to the glass and that has the PB tang occupied for the moment. The butterfly looks unharmed thankfully, but now isn't leaving the top corner of the tank.

If I leave the mirror up for a few days, will the PB tang be likely to accept the butterfly or is there no way these two will work?

Any other advice or tricks I can try?

I have learned my lesson BTW for anyone that is wondering. I'll be doing my own research before buying anything else.

Thanks in advance

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story. I love powder blue.. I’d leave the mirror up for a while. Don’t forget to keep the mirror clean. Maybe add one more mirror. if Adding any more tangs, add them In a group.

OP
OP
JAC-

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks friends,

@Dbichler yes, I'm not going back. I suppose it was a lesson I needed to learn though.

@Skynyrd Fish I'll definitely add another.

Do you think they can get along in the long run?
If the PB tang stays should I expect this kind of aggression every time I add a fish?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That LFS needs to be publicly shamed, and don't spend another dime there.

Where are you located?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced multiple tangs to an established tank last week. It was a life saver. My bossy fish got all of their pissyness out and tired themselves out with everyone safe.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously mentioned, your lfs sucks. Definitely not peaceful, and I'd argue not hardy with their severe susceptibility to ich.

Anyways. As for the aggression, my recommendation is adding multiple fish at once, and add them at night, with the lights off. Acclimation boxes will also be your friend.

OP
OP
JAC-

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously mentioned, your lfs sucks. Definitely not peaceful, and I'd argue not hardy with their severe susceptibility to ich.

Anyways. As for the aggression, my recommendation is adding multiple fish at once, and add them at night, with the lights off. Acclimation boxes will also be your friend.
Yes, it's unfortunate. I loved the one I used to go to, but it's two and a half hours away now. I should have considered that asset more carefully before I moved. :) Good tips @Hugh Mann also love the name.

So, I just found out another amusing twist from the LFS. I was told the longnose butterfly ate algae, "that's the reason they have the long mouth, to reach into crevices and eat algae." I have two conchs that my daughter and I completely adore, should I be worried about them? My daughter would be devastated if anything happened to Cuddles and Trunk.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The butterfly needs to eat multiple times per day. Keeping weight on it will be your challenge. Get a feeder mesh clip, or a similar item that he can stick his mouth in and eat from. this will prevent the other fish from eating all the food before the long nose can get a bite. You could also try a mastic food.

OP
OP
JAC-

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The butterfly needs to eat multiple times per day. Keeping weight on it will be your challenge. Get a feeder mesh clip, or a similar item that he can stick his mouth in and eat from. this will prevent the other fish from eating all the food before the long nose can get a bite. You could also try a mastic food.
Thanks friend, I'll pick one up. It is eating brine shrimp, I have mysis shrimp too. I read they like clams, what would be other things to mix in?

Back