Guppy Fry for saltwater fish and adult guppy for anemones?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering, if i were to breed freshwater guppies and give the fry to my reef tank every month or so, would it be alright? I've heard some controversy, people say they don't have adequate nutrients but I would only really be giving them maybe 3 days a month at max? and I've heard it is good for stimulation as well when they chase them and also adds some variety to their diet? i would only feed fry and they'd be raised by me in a freshwater system, and put into a my reef tank every month or so. also, would feeding an adult guppy to anemones be alright (I don't have an anemone, I was just wondering, just like I don't have any guppies on hand, I'm simply just curious). i would start by quarantining 2 males and 4 females for a month, and let them breed In a 10 gallon, i would raise the fry for about a week then put some in my reef tank and hold onto to some for future generations. to prevent inbreeding (which I've heard could cause genetic diseases), i wouldn't breed one female for more than abt 3 times or so. how would this work? (again all hypothetical i haven't done anything just i saw some guppy breeding system and just thought "what if this could be used for saltwater as well?"). thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? Live is generally not the best staple.
Guppies can live in saltwater (not as well as mollies though), so they are fine to feed. You can gut load guppies to ensure proper nutrients.
10 gallons isn’t a lot of space to get a lot of breeding, it would get packed fast.
The inbreeding will cause defects, usually over a long period of time, but it won’t keep them from being good foods. Often times it’s the deformed ones that get culled out (fed to other fish) first. All of the fancy guppies seen today are a result of inbreeding.
Not sure about the nems, but I’m sure it’s possible.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? Live is generally not the best staple.
Guppies can live in saltwater (not as well as mollies though), so they are fine to feed. You can gut load guppies to ensure proper nutrients.
10 gallons isn’t a lot of space to get a lot of breeding, it would get packed fast.
The inbreeding will cause defects, usually over a long period of time, but it won’t keep them from being good foods. Often times it’s the deformed ones that get culled out (fed to other fish) first. All of the fancy guppies seen today are a result of inbreeding.
Not sure about the nems, but I’m sure it’s possible.
i feed pellets right now and plan on also feeding some frozen and maybe some veggie sheets, all in the future. some guppy fry every now and then (like every 4-6 weeks or so rlly shouldn't hurt even if they are not too great In nutrients right? its like ice cream for us rlly shouldn't hurt and I'm sure my fish would like live to chase around every once in a while).
i was going to breed them in FRESHwater and just put them in saltwater when i feed them, no acclimation. how should i go about gut loading? just high quality food? i also plan on feeding some of the adults to my axolotl again for variety.
i rlly wouldn't go past maybe 8 fish MAX, typically just keep it to about 2 males and 4 females, ill probably end up keeping some of the past generations in there too for future breeding, etc.
would in breeding not matter too much if i am to feed them to other fish?
idk abt nems i looked it up a little while ago and some said since nems don't rlly eat anything else if i just give guppies it would be really poor in nutrition, maybe every once in a while but not too recommended.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s an interesting idea , for an otherwise useless fish IMHO. At least to try. What kind of fish would you feed them to? would you acclimate them to salt or just throw them in?

I can’t see how it would hurt to try it out with a few fry. I mean, you just put 2 guppies in a bowl for a few weeks and you’ll have dozens of them. Im interested to know the outcome if you try it.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s an interesting idea , for an otherwise useless fish IMHO. At least to try. What kind of fish would you feed them to? would you acclimate them to salt or just throw them in?

I can’t see how it would hurt to try it out with a few fry. I mean, you just put 2 guppies in a bowl for a few weeks and you’ll have dozens of them. Im interested to know the outcome if you try it.
the idea is just to provide my fish and axolotl some more variety and stimulation. for now, I just have a clownfish, orchid dotty, cleaner shrimp, and axolotl. but I plan a midas blenny, cardinal, and some others that I haven't fully decided yet. I wont acclimate them, ill just throw them in and let my fish eat them quick, for my axolotl ill use tongs.
same, I cant see how it would really hurt. its just like candy for humans, not good but every once in a while you'll enjoy it with rlly no harmful effects.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those fish are particularly piscivorous, but I don’t see why that would stop them.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea imo
Gut loading can be done with good food, as you said. Guppies are good in nutrients, the gut loading is just so that they have the proper nutrients needed by the predator (naturally various cichlids and other Mexican fish would eat them, while a clown is evolved to get nutrients from marine inverts).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back