• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Gutweed Macro Algae

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a specific live macro algae. Current name is Ulva Intestinalis. Previous name was Enteromorpha Intestinalis. Common names are Gutweed, Hollow Green Weed, or Grass Lettuce.

Want it for starting up a new algae scrubber, so some from a functioning algae scrubber would be ideal.

Shipping would be to New Jersey.

OP
OP
radiata

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with this?

NOT FOR ME!. One source in Florida that I found actually substituted Ulva for what I asked for on a order I placed with them.

The other source in Florida (RUSALTY) sells it as "Sea Lettuce" (https://www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com/sponge-world/grass-lettuce/). They are usually "SOLD OUT" of this item and it isn't especially reasonably priced there if you actually do find it available. I'm sure that this algae will eventually show up, but not at an especially reasonable price.

FWIW, I've also been looking for the "LIVE ISOPODS" they claim to have available on their site... (https://www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com/live-saltwater-fish-food/live-isopods/). As far as I can tell they have yet to be available and actually ever been sold on this site! I've been using the DISTILL app to track actual web site changes on their Live IsoPod pages. As far as I can tell, these isopods have never actually been available for sale on this site. I've been checking their site for a good two(?) years now. This is unusually odd, considering their unusually questionable claims which follow:

"This makes them a great cleanup crew for reef tank aquariums.

"They have a highly nutritious profile. Containing Omega 3 – 6 fatty acids and many more powerful vitamins and elements to provide the healthiest diet for captive kept marine animals of all types.

"Nauplii (babies) are harpacticoid (planktonic free swimming)

"As they mature to adults they become more benthic (like to crawl on structure but will also swim sometimes.

"Newborn naupli are in the 100- 200 micron size.

"Stages of juveniles are 1 – 3 millimeter size.

"Adults get up to 6 millimeter,(1/4 inch) size.

"A breeding colony can produce millions of baby pods per week.

"Make an excellent micro cleanup crew. Also provides a valuable food source of live zooplankton for fish and corals.

"They feed on nuisance algae, dead decaying algae, leftover food and fish waste. They will constantly be grazing on your live rocks & sand bottom. They love to set up their breeding colonies in macro algae. We have been aquaculturing these pods for a number of years here in Okeechobee, Florida. These pods are very prolific breeders. With a few of these in your tank they will multiply rapidly and spread out, producing thousand of nauplii and multiple stages of juveniles.

"They make an excellent live food source for Seahorses, Mandarins, Dragonettes, Pipefish and many other fish that feed on live zooplankton. Use these to seed your reef tank and sump/ Refugium. Once they get established and breeding in your system you will have a constant supply of zooplankton to feed corals, and fish. If you already have Macro algae growing in your sump, these pods will establish a breeding colony in the macros and your pump will periodically suck some pods out of the sump and into your main tank: scatter feeding corals and fish with live plankton throughout the day.

"These are a hardy species that we have adapted through many generations of culturing to home aquarium conditions."

I'd love to know if you have any of the above "LIVE ISOPODS" in your system and are willing to sell a culture of them if you do.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go the Carolina Biological Research Supply option and buy the classroom samples and see if I can culture some cool things out. Among them being intestinalis. I'll let you know how it goes and if it works I'll send you some.

OP
OP
radiata

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go the Carolina Biological Research Supply option and buy the classroom samples and see if I can culture some cool things out. Among them being intestinalis. I'll let you know how it goes and if it works I'll send you some.
Thank you! That would be great. You might consider culturing the intestinalis is a separate container. It is supposedly quite tasty. I've never had great luck when trying to grow it in a tank with amphipods and copepods. The next time I try it I might use some intertidal method - pictures I've seen of it in the wild often show it attached to intertidal rock.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it to attach to coral rubble in my tank but it is highly palatable to amphipods, copepods, snails, hermits, even my mollies like it. Pretty good growing it in a waterfall setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_212745_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_212745_Gallery.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230130_212829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_212829_Gallery.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 16

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back