Gyre 350 vs two of Jebao SLW-30 or something else for flow?

Choice of flow maker

• Two Gyre 350

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • One Gyre 350 + Two Jebao SLW-30

• Look for something else

• Total voters

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am building a SPS dominant 75 gallon peninsula style tank (standard aqueon).
I already have Gyre 350 on one side of the tank where the overflow is, and I would like to add more flow.

Should I buy second Gyre 350 (pump only for $185, 5380 gph) or should I be better off buying two of Jebao SLW-30 (for $144, 6868 gph)?
I figured that buying second gyre 350 would allow me to connect two pumps and create flow patterns.
If I were to go with two Jebao and a gyre, I would not be able to connect jebao with gyre, but it would be cheaper option with more flow and better look when on the viewing side of the tank (peninsula style).

I believe either option (two gyre 350 or one gyre and two jebao) would provide me with enough flow.
What do you suggest?

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Either way I think you'll have plenty of flow. Gyres have a wide spread output, powerheads tend to be more focused, so gph gets skewed. You can always program them to run different patterns at different times. If you mix and match.

In my tank(new 75) I have 2 of the jebao wifi gyres ( MCP 70 and 120) and really like them, the flow patterns, linkability, the app isn't that bad once you figure it out. Once my tank starts filling out, if needed, growth blocking flow or particular area needs more, because of being gyres. I can pick up one of the jebao SOW wifi powerheads.
Jebao isn't top of the line, but I ran them for years in my freshwater tanks.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am building a SPS dominant 75 gallon peninsula style tank (standard aqueon).
I already have Gyre 350 on one side of the tank where the overflow is, and I would like to add more flow.

Should I buy second Gyre 350 (pump only for $185, 5380 gph) or should I be better off buying two of Jebao SLW-30 (for $144, 6868 gph)?
I figured that buying second gyre 350 would allow me to connect two pumps and create flow patterns.
If I were to go with two Jebao and a gyre, I would not be able to connect jebao with gyre, but it would be cheaper option with more flow and better look when on the viewing side of the tank (peninsula style).

I believe either option (two gyre 350 or one gyre and two jebao) would provide me with enough flow.
What do you suggest?
If you already have one Gyre, you know you what you’re getting and should get a second.

I hate mine and regret their purchase (I have the largest size) and can’t wait for someone to come out with something (anything!) better but if you have one, I can’t see why you wouldn’t just get a second.

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally hate the controller for the Gyre. I'll pay the extra $50 to get the RedSea set-up and go with their WaveMaker all day. Easier to use and set-up, IMO

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally hate the controller for the Gyre. I'll pay the extra $50 to get the RedSea set-up and go with their WaveMaker all day. Easier to use and set-up, IMO
One of the reasons I hate the Gyre. I blew thru 2-3 controllers. They didn’t die, one pump just got gradually weaker over a month or so and honestly I didn’t even realize it. They replaced (under warranty) a few bricks and the controller before we all gave up. I got the Hydros controller which worked better (except for the software which was awful and is now just ok) but after 2 years, one of the 4 pump ports died.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back