Gyre like flow without having another piece of equipment?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the flow I see in videos of people using gyre type pumps. However, I don't want to see something like that in my nano.

I will test this either way, but, what is everyone's opinion on a slot cut piece of pvc as the return nozzle? It would basically look like a T about 10" long sitting at one end of the tank made out of 3/4" pvc painted black and a 1/8" or 3/16" slot cut the length of it on either side of the T fitting and caps on either end. Make sense?

My return pump was always going to be the only source of flow. The tank is 36" long 12 gallon. I will have about 350gph after head loss.

Don't really need modes of flow just a better way to distribute it without a big ugly manifold.

Thanks for your input!

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would actually work fairly well! You might have uneven flow from where the return comes into the T (center being the strongest, with less flow at the two outer ends) but I think it should work. I would probably leave the slotted tube press fit so you can adjust the angle a little if need be.

Either way, creating that stream of flat, high velocity water flow at the top of the tank should get you the results you're looking for.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree don't glue the top part so you can adjust the angle. More agitation or less agitation. Post a pic when done. Sounds great

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to use smaller PVC for the T section if your return is 3/4". Maybe step down to 1/2" because you will be effectively splitting the return between two pipes.

Might take some experimentation from the hardware store, but it sounds like a great idea.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 36" long 12 gallon.

It's called a spray bar if you wanna look up past examples. ;)

I run every tank with one. I run mine vertical to place most of the flow in the bottom 2/3 of the tank.

(I additionally use powerheads as I don't have a 6" high tank...not sure you really have to worry about flow in a tank that small....seems like anything should work. ;))

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the input.
Yes, leaving it pressfit was the plan.
I didn't think about stepping it down. Good idea.
I might also try running it vertically in the back corner and see.

What about running both a corner and a horizontal one? I could step up to a little more powerful pump and adjust the flow down with the valve if it's too much.

I will take pics after I get it setup. Check out my build thread to take a look at this odd tank.

Thanks again!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think about stepping it down. Good idea.

There "should be" no advantage to shrinking your plumbing anywhere before the outlet(s).....unless you're using weirdly large return plumbing for some reason.

The hole(s) in the spraybar are what you should be thinking about the size and quantity of.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There "should be" no advantage to shrinking your plumbing anywhere before the outlet(s).....unless you're using weirdly large return plumbing for some reason.

The hole(s) in the spraybar are what you should be thinking about the size and quantity of.
Since itll be a slot what size would think should be used or should I make several pieces of PVC with different sized slots and just go by trial and error?

Experimenting doesn't bother me, I will just make sure I figure it out while it's cycling so I don't mess with the livestock too much.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would calculate the area and circumference numbers (basically the I.D.) for outlet of the plumbing you use for the return.

Then calculate the slot size that would be required to match the outlet area size.

The perimeter of your slot "ideally" shouldn't exceed the circumference number you generated as that would restrict flow....but the slot can be made bigger to compensate as-needed. (I doubt you'll need to compensate, but run the numbers to see! :))

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would calculate the area and circumference numbers (basically the I.D.) for outlet of the plumbing you use for the return.

Then calculate the slot size that would be required to match the outlet area size.

The perimeter of your slot "ideally" shouldn't exceed the circumference number you generated as that would restrict flow....but the slot can be made bigger to compensate as-needed. (I doubt you'll need to compensate, but run the numbers to see! :))

Good call my friend. I prefer the nerd approach when possible. [emoji16]

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handyman approach cut it very thin and keep cutting it thicker and thicker until you’re content with the flow ;)

Back