Gyre on the bottom of the tank?

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Has anyone ever tried putting a gyre on the side/bottom of their tank? My tank is bare bottom, and right now I have a gyre flowing across the top of the water, towards my overflow (like most folks would do.........I think). And I have a jebao lower on the back wall, pointed at an angle against the back wall to "push" flow down the all and out to the front. Basically to keep detritus at the front of the tank, or suspended and removed by my skimmer. An added bonus I guess, would be that there's a bit of random, or chaotic flow where the 2 currents meet throughout the tank.

I'm thinking about moving the gyre to the bottom to handle the detritus concerns and maybe simplifying the setup by removing the jebao. But the more I tihnk about it, I keep talking myself out of it. Anyone have an opinion they'd care to share?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the gyre into the gyre mode. Where it will go forward across top of tank, then reverse to blow down to bottom of tank.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just put the gyre into the gyre mode. Where it will go forward across top of tank, then reverse to blow down to bottom of tank.
Yep yep, I've tried that. But the reverse mode has much less flow, so while it is better, it's not quite where I need it.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In BRSTV latest video about powerheads, they highly recommend placing them on the bottom if you have no sand. The return nozzle/s is more than enough for surface agitation.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In BRSTV latest video about powerheads, they highly recommend placing them on the bottom if you have no sand. The return nozzle/s is more than enough for surface agitation.
Hmm, I'll have to check that one out. But in my case, my return nozzle makes zero surface agitation as it's tied into my UV filter which hangs off the back. So it' just points straight down.

But I'll check it out. Thanks for the comment!

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.
On top of that, putting the gyre on the bottom also means dragging the (power supply) wire all the way down in side the tank.
That may cause an eye sore, aesthetically.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do something similar. I have two MP40s at the bottom. I'd rather they be gyres for wider flow. I think it's good for flushing detritus off of the bottom.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running Jebao SC-150 gyres in 4' tanks in both horizontal and vertical positions. In my current main DT (4' 90-gal) the gyre is vertical about 3" out of the corner (just enough space to pass the mag scraper one swipe). IMO vertical orientation improves the aesthetics, and it's easy to create a massive flow that wraps around the tank. You can watch everything from top to bottom get picked up and then swept around the tank walls in a full circular lap.

I'm running NASCAR on the main DT (all corners are left turns), and breast stroke on the horizontal in a 4' reef tank (1/3 down and everything flips at the ends). I typically run Random mode at level 2-3. In the vertical orientation level-2 keeps everything moving without totally re-arranging the sand. The horizontal orientation works best if you want to create an actual wave at the opposite end. Level-5 will generate a 3" wave when properly tuned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm running Jebao SC-150 gyres in 4' tanks in both horizontal and vertical positions. In my current main DT (4' 90-gal) the gyre is vertical about 3" out of the corner (just enough space to pass the mag scraper one swipe). IMO vertical orientation improves the aesthetics, and it's easy to create a massive flow that wraps around the tank. You can watch everything from top to bottom get picked up and then swept around the tank walls in a full circular lap.

I'm running NASCAR on the main DT (all corners are left turns), and breast stroke on the horizontal in a 4' reef tank (1/3 down and everything flips at the ends). I typically run Random mode at level 2-3. In the vertical orientation level-2 keeps everything moving without totally re-arranging the sand. The horizontal orientation works best if you want to create an actual wave at the opposite end. Level-5 will generate a 3" wave when properly tuned.
I hadn't really thought about running it vertically in this tank, but I might try that. I used to do that in a cube I had back when the first Gyres came out and it didn't work out quite like I wanted it to (but there's been a lot of improvements in the gyres since then...............and this ain't a cube!).

One of my newest challenges, since it was decided that we needed more movement in the tank, that we get into Euphyllia. Which is cool, but now keeping the "flow zones" tweaked for SPS at the top of the tank and a little less "direct" for the torches in the middle is trying my patients! lol

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I dumped a bunch of krill to treat the puffers and then shot a video from each side when the GYRE restarted. You can clearly see the flow pattern and intensity.

GYRE Vertical-1
GYRE Vertical-2

Jebao SCP-150 GYRE in 48x18x29 90-gal tank, is on Power Level-2 and Random.
That looks cool! And with the "open water" you have, you can really see that you're taking great advantage of the flow pattern!

Back