Gyre xf150 quit, what’s next?

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
My maxspect gyre 150 quit, with a red light blinking in a 2 blinking on sequence. Vinegar soaked, replaced all bearings, cleaned out motor, but still will not stay running.
So, looking into the Ice cap 3k, or going back to two Jaebo power heads.

Had the gyre on opposite mode, and the tank looked pristine, no detritus stuck anywhere. But I like the use of two power heads, running opposite and turbulence. Only problem on the Jaebos was the WiFi sync was not very reliable, and they would go out of sync. Are the newer pp models any better?

Do any of the gyre 150 parts fit the icecap 3 k? I read you need to buy the reverse rotor and cage separate to use the alternating mode.

Thanks!

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you don't know if it is a problem with the controller or with the pump, I suggest you looking for someone that has the same pump near you and try to find out. If its the controller you can just purchase the Maxspect xf250 and then, use your old xf150 with the new pump and have 2 gyres. If its the pump just buy a new icecap 3k. Not sure if the gyre parts will fit into icecap 3k.

OP
OP
M

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor has a new xf250, and he offered to let me use it while I decide which route to take, but I looked at that fancy controller and opted to revive my old Rw8. I will ask to borrow it and trouble shoot!

Thanks for the tip!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, plug your gyre into it and test. If it's the motor block, you can buy a replacement for like 30 bucks. If the controller, CoralVue may help you out since the G1 controllers were quite junk and they probably have hundreds saved for RMA's.

My G1 X150 went through two blocks before the third one ended up being rock solid.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor has a new xf250, and he offered to let me use it while I decide which route to take, but I looked at that fancy controller and opted to revive my old Rw8. I will ask to borrow it and trouble shoot!

Thanks for the tip!
that fancy controller is the best part about the new gyres!
2 pumps on one controller both of which can be individually programmed or set in unison to simulate tide or oceanic gyre. i think a lot of what you get out of these pumps has to do with the programming and the rockwork/coral obstruction. i run 2 gyres now but will likely add a couple of apex wav pumps once things aren't moving as well as they are now.

OP
OP
M

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Landlubber, what size thank do you have them in? And what size gyres? I had one 150 and I ran it on opposite mode (reverse mode with one B wheel and cage) on 50%, and it was moving the tank nicely!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Landlubber, what size thank do you have them in? And what size gyres? I had one 150 and I ran it on opposite mode (reverse mode with one B wheel and cage) on 50%, and it was moving the tank nicely!
i use 2 xf250's in a 4ftx2ftx2ft tank (120g standard) and neither pump has to be run over 50%. i do pull them apart every few months just to keep them clean

Back