Gyre XF230 is LOUD.. is the XF250 any better?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was previously running a single Maxspect Gyre XF150 that I got second hand on my 120. It was a great pump, quiet, and lots of flow. But I had to crank it almost to the max for it to reach the other side of the tank, and even then I didn't think it was doing that great of job.

I took the plunge and bought the new Gyre XF230 - 2 pump set. Two pumps, new controller, everything brand new, it was expensive, but I was excited... that was until I installed it.

THESE PUMPS ARE LOUD!!

I couldn't believe running them at alternating 10%-20% I could hear the whir of the motors across the room. If I upped them to say 50% the sound is like I have a powerboat in my front room. This is coming from both pumps, so it's not as if one of them is defective. The sound isn't a broken or grinding sound, it's the sound of a really whiny motor.

I checked the forums online and apparently this is a big complaint about the XF230’s. The consensus was leave them running for 2-3 weeks and they will "break in". Here we are almost at the end of week 3 and they sound the exact same.

I love the flow from the Gyre, and I'm looking at ripping it all out and upgrading AGAIN to the XF250, but only if they are more quiet. What I'm after is anyone who has first hand experience, who can say yeah the XF250's are way more quiet, or confirm if they're about the same. I would hate to have to track down two XF150's. But I just can't bear to spend that much more money without knowing for certain they are going to be quieter. Any feedback is welcome :)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was previously running a single Maxspect Gyre XF150 that I got second hand on my 120. It was a great pump, quiet, and lots of flow. But I had to crank it almost to the max for it to reach the other side of the tank, and even then I didn't think it was doing that great of job.

I took the plunge and bought the new Gyre XF230 - 2 pump set. Two pumps, new controller, everything brand new, it was expensive, but I was excited... that was until I installed it.

THESE PUMPS ARE LOUD!!

I couldn't believe running them at alternating 10%-20% I could hear the whir of the motors across the room. If I upped them to say 50% the sound is like I have a powerboat in my front room. This is coming from both pumps, so it's not as if one of them is defective. The sound isn't a broken or grinding sound, it's the sound of a really whiny motor.

I checked the forums online and apparently this is a big complaint about the XF230’s. The consensus was leave them running for 2-3 weeks and they will "break in". Here we are almost at the end of week 3 and they sound the exact same.

I love the flow from the Gyre, and I'm looking at ripping it all out and upgrading AGAIN to the XF250, but only if they are more quiet. What I'm after is anyone who has first hand experience, who can say yeah the XF250's are way more quiet, or confirm if they're about the same. I would hate to have to track down two XF150's. But I just can't bear to spend that much more money without knowing for certain they are going to be quieter. Any feedback is welcome :)
The 250s are a bit quieter, but with the gyres, it takes about 2 weeks for them to break in. After 2 weeks, they will be almost silent unless they are over 80%

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THESE PUMPS ARE LOUD!!

I have a single xf250 in my rsr 525xl. Been running since February this year at 60-80%.

Quiet as a mouse.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running 2 xf 230s for many months between 40-70%. At 70% they make a bit of whirring noise but are silent at 60 and below.

Right now they are running +40 -40 in alternating gyre mode. No sound at all.

Last edited:

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 230 that is 2 weeks old, never had the noise problem. It is running the preset lunar tide mode at 40%, which does push alot of water. My only complaint was the location of the blades and placement on tank. This took me a while to find that right spot.

Blackwrench

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. Got two of them for over a year now. They are loud as all hell, even at 40%. My tank is in my bedroom so limited noise is a must, but they are really loud. I got used to it a bit but turning them up over 50% makes me unable to sleep at night.
I also disassembled them and cleaned them a couple times but it doesn't help.

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1k gyre on my 45 gal. in walk tank. It is loud!!! I’ve had it a for about 4-5 months. Had to take it apart and clean it a couple times already because it stopped working. I do love the flow, so i’m dealing with the rest of the circumstances... for now.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for all the feedback! Seems like there's quite a few people saying their 230s are quiet, more than expected. And everyone says the 250s are quiet. So I guess I'll take them apart, make sure it's all tight and give it another week or so before I cut my loses and unload them on eBay and go 250s.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pair of the 250’s and after about a year of use they got louder and louder. Eventually I had to sell them. After each cleaning they did get quieter but after merely two to three weeks they get louder again. And I was running them at 30-40%.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ice Cap 3k gyre will sometimes get bubbles caught in the propeller. Makes a terrible noise when that happens. I'll never know where the air comes from either. I never see bubbles floating on my tank. Once I shut the pump off, I can see the air escape from the props. Silent other than that. And it doesn't happen very often.

U

User1

View Badges
XF 250 here and I know it isn't the 230 but the only time I hear mine is when I run it at or near 100%. There is a distinct whine. Let them break in and give it a week.

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 230 that was loud as hell in the 1st month then it went away (I really felt bad for the fish). However, the pump died after a couple of months and maxspect wont even honoring thier warranty.

I would definitely buy another pump if I could go back in time.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THESE PUMPS ARE LOUD!!

Mine was loud. I called maxspect and, after some noise recordings, they sent me a new motor. It is much quieter than the first one, but I still mostly run various constant modes throughout the day to minimize whinings. It seems the motors are hit and miss.

svandive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x Maxspect XF230

I recently had to dump my Icecap Gyre Interface modules since I could only get them to drive at about 50-60% power. Connected to the Advanced controller the pumps operate perfectly. So not being able to run the Neptune program I searched for what others have built on the advanced controller alone and hit upon a schedule for hour by hour ramping on the left then coming down while increasing the right. However the key is one pump is pulsing (20% then 30% then 40% etc...) for 8 seconds while the other runs continues but low flow (to create various regions of turbulence). The program works fabulous. However the noise is enough to drive me insane!!

Now I have a constant rummmmp up for 8 seconds, then again and again. I’ve had these pumps running for about a year, and swap out new motor block, and fins / cages every four weeks. So all three motors are doing the same thing..... Love these pumps, but the noise (at least for some of us I guess) is enough to drive you bats...

svandive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x Maxspect XF230

I recently had to dump my Icecap Gyre Interface modules since I could only get them to drive at about 50-60% power. Connected to the Advanced controller the pumps operate perfectly. So not being able to run the Neptune program I searched for what others have built on the advanced controller alone and hit upon a schedule for hour by hour ramping on the left then coming down while increasing the right. However the key is one pump is pulsing (20% then 30% then 40% etc...) for 8 seconds while the other runs continues but low flow (to create various regions of turbulence). The program works fabulous. However the noise is enough to drive me insane!!

Now I have a constant rummmmp up for 8 seconds, then again and again. I’ve had these pumps running for about a year, and swap out new motor block, and fins / cages every four weeks. So all three motors are doing the same thing..... Love these pumps, but the noise (at least for some of us I guess) is enough to drive you bats...

svandive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x Maxspect XF230

Back