H. melanurus and H. iridis Compatibility?

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey R2R,
I know there are some wrasse wizards on here and I’m curious on melanurus wrasse and radiant wrasse compatibility. If they are compatible, what would tank size need to be? Any other insights?
Thanks

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,
I know there are some wrasse wizards on here and I’m curious on melanurus wrasse and radiant wrasse compatibility. If they are compatible, what would tank size need to be? Any other insights?
Thanks
Add radiant first and then melanurus as radiant are delicate. I hv done that in past and they were fine. Still each individual is different. One thing is they love deep sand

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,
Thanks
They are compatible, I would say 4’x2’ dimensions are the minimum for this to work.
Any dimensions smaller and it’s one or the other as IME, both of these get boisterous. My iridis overpowers my Chloropterus for now.

If you did go for both, I would add the iridis first, then get any other Halichoeres species you like into the tank and then add the melanurus later.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the info on that. What is a less boisterous Halichores and would be better than a melanurus in your guys opinions?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much else to add that hasn’t already been said. I‘ve had iridis and melanurus together and they got along fine, I’ve also kept melanurus with chrysus which is a close cousin to iridis and they got along fine. It also helps if there are other halichoeres in the tank to help disperse attention.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres biocellatus would be a good wrasse to have. I find that they are not as aggressive as Melanurus.
If you want to go for something other than a Halichoeres wrasse, an Anampses neoguinaicus would be a great wrasse to add. Unusual but very beautiful and relatively rare. I have both H. iridis and A. neoguinaicus in my tank. My tank is larger but I cannot see these two wrasses bother anybody. Contradary to many people's opinion, I like to keep a lot of my wrasses in pair or harem.
Female A. neoguinaicus
ChinaWrasse2019121802Larger.jpg

Male resting color
ChinaWrasse2022012008Male.jpg

Male nuptial color
ChinaWrasse2022012013Male.jpg

Both Male and Female China wrasse pair.
ChinaWrasse2022012501.jpg

Male H. iridis
RadiantWrasse2021020201.jpg

Male and female H. iridis
RadiantWrasse2021031901.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I haven’t been able to get my hands on a radiant wrasse yet. I have put any other halichores in my tank. It’s 50 gallons.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still haven’t seen any H. iridis for sale but plan on getting one once I find it available. What about H. biocellatus and H. cosmetus? Would either of those work?

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Halichoeres biocellatus would be a good wrasse to have. I find that they are not as aggressive as Melanurus.
If you want to go for something other than a Halichoeres wrasse, an Anampses neoguinaicus would be a great wrasse to add. Unusual but very beautiful and relatively rare. I have both H. iridis and A. neoguinaicus in my tank. My tank is larger but I cannot see these two wrasses bother anybody. Contradary to many people's opinion, I like to keep a lot of my wrasses in pair or harem.
Female A. neoguinaicus
ChinaWrasse2019121802Larger.jpg

Male resting color
ChinaWrasse2022012008Male.jpg

Male nuptial color
ChinaWrasse2022012013Male.jpg

Both Male and Female China wrasse pair.
ChinaWrasse2022012501.jpg

Male H. iridis
RadiantWrasse2021020201.jpg

Male and female H. iridis
RadiantWrasse2021031901.jpg
@OrionN
I think my tank is too small for the China wrasse but I have to say it is a great looking fish.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a A. twistii. Still in my QT tank. I think I will like her. It is really hard for me to get a healthy Twistii. She is only about 1.25-1.5 inch. The Black Leopard is 1 inch, including the clear tail.
IMG_8890.jpeg
IMG_8888.jpeg

I also saw a really nice Iridis but she was for 100.00. I already used up my fish budget and Omer this month. I actually ahold not get the Twistii but cannot resist such healthy and small rare (to get healthy) wrasse.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back