H2O2 dip for dino infested zoa rock?

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I've scrolled through a few posts and haven't truly found my issue yet, so I thought I'd post here.

I started my tank back in September with mostly Live Rock harvested from the florida keys. I supplemented this rock with some dry rock that I seeded with some of the bacteria in a bottle.

All of my Live Rock is clear of Dinos, however my Zoanthid rock is nearly completely infested - given this rock is the only location with the Dinos (in any notable way) would it make sense to remove the rock and do a H202 dip outside of the tank? I assume this would essentially eradicate the dinos on the rock, thus saving my tank from a large scale outbreak?

I've yet to notice any in my fuge or anywhere else, it's like a little Dino island has developed on this zoa rock and I believe it's leading to some of the SPS issues that I'm having.

The species of Dinos that I have is unknown - however they do not break up into the water column at lights out when most others do, so I assume that could narrow it down a good bit...

Parameters:
NO4: 5
PO4: .04

TLDR: Do I go to target and pick up some Hydrogen Peroxide and dip the Dino infested Zoanthid Rock? Or am I oversimplifying my issue?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO -the problem is not if you can use peroxid against Dino - it is more a problem what´s happen with the Zoanthids on your rock. Many Zoanthids are toxic and can release highly toxic substances in the water mist that occurs when you boil or treat with substances such as peroxides. Not all are toxic but - as I know - there is very few (or none) ways to differ between non toxic and toxic strains. Make a search here with the words Toxic Zoanthids and decide by yourself.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO -the problem is not if you can use peroxid against Dino - it is more a problem what´s happen with the Zoanthids on your rock. Many Zoanthids are toxic and can release highly toxic substances in the water mist that occurs when you boil or treat with substances such as peroxides. Not all are toxic but - as I know - there is very few (or none) ways to differ between non toxic and toxic strains. Make a search here with the words Toxic Zoanthids and decide by yourself.

Sincerely Lasse
Never gave much thought to the toxicity issue with the zoas - I always wear gloves and eye protection when dragging / working with zoas outta the tank.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2o2 dips are done on zoas all the time and are completely safe at proper dosages

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never gave much thought to the toxicity issue with the zoas - I always wear gloves and eye protection when dragging / working with zoas outta the tank.
If you get vapor - gloves and goggles do not help - you need a breathing mask as well IMO. Some of the toxins are airborne in humid air. I would not take ANY chance with zoanthids - do not want to run into that hell again.

Sincerely Lasse

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back