JCOLE's ACRO Dominant Build

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE** - New tank is here and the old tank is shutting down. To skip ahead to the new tank process then click here.

New Tank FTS as of 10/30/22
20221030_162638.jpg

20221030_162924.jpg

Old tank FTS as of 04/01/2022​
20220401_111123.jpg

rainbow (1 of 1).JPG
WD (1 of 1) (1).JPG
BC 4.jpg
IMG_4453.jpg
P9130345-2.jpg
firecraker table 2 (1 of 1) (1).jpg
WD (1 of 1)-3.JPG
ULTIMATE EFFLO (1 of 1)-1.jpg

WD (1 of 1)-2.JPG

VIVID CONFETTI (1 of 1).JPG

BC AQUATICMAN (1 of 1).JPG

PEACH MILLI (1 of 1).JPG

Hello everyone,

My name is Josh. I recently got back into the hobby a year ago after taking 8 years off! Moving from Florida to North Carolina for a job transfer forced me to sell my 150 gallon reef tank :-(. I moved into a rental for 4 years and was unable to have any pets, fish, etc. Bought a house in the country with my wife but was not looking to add a fish tank because we had subfloors and I was worried about the weight. After a year of painful back-breaking work renovating the entire house from floors, stairs, kitchen, bathrooms, etc we decided to sell the house. We sold the house a year later and bought a house in the same neighborhood we were originally renting :). With that being said....I finally fixed the urge and bought a 55 gallon aquarium. The aquarium is going strong. Learned and tried some new things after stepping away for 8 years. I just recently bought an Apex controller (2) weeks ago(Where has this been my whole life!!), plumbed my tank into the garage a month ago(always wanted to do this), and started dosing Kalwasser, etc.

It's time to upgrade the 55 as I want to start throwing in some SPS and the 55 is already getting crowded as it is. I purchased a used 125 AGA tank over the weekend from a guy getting out of the hobby for now. He bought the tank to move his 75 gallon into and a month later had a crash and lost everything in the 75 gallon. He doesn't have the time or money to invest in starting over again.

2/16/19 - Picked up the tank from the previous owner
uc

I feel like a got a good deal as this included the tank, stand, canopy, and large sump. He also threw in 6 bags of sand, 200 lbs of dry rock, calcium reactor, older skimmer, dc pumps, about 5 media reactors, 5 stage RO/DI filter, Cal-ALK-Phosphate Hanna Checkers, (3) 150w halides, APEX Classic system, and misc supplies.

Now the fun part. Cleaning everything and painting. The tank was sitting in his house for 8 months without water. A lot of dust and found a couple of kids toys, hot wheels, etc in the overflows. Bought 5 gallons of Cleaning Vinegar and spent all day yesterday using some elbow grease to clean the tank. I removed about 95% of old calcium build up on the dual overflows and glass. Filled up the tank and let it sit overnight. No leaks and everything seems to be holding water well. I am going to let it sit for a couple days to make sure. After I drain the tank then I am going to try my hand at removing some of the scratches with Cerium Oxide. Never done this before so it ought to be fun.

2/17/19 - Filling the tank with water for the first time. No leaks!
uc

The stand and canopy color aren't ugly but it just isn't a color that goes with our house. I picked up a quart of Semi-Gloss black cabinet paint this weekend. Going to start sanding and painting stand and canopy this week so hopefully, I can move it into the house this weekend or next.

I will post pictures of my room that the fish tank is in now when I get home from work today. Would love to get some advice on moving the existing tank around for this tank, etc.

This is my first tank build thread so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone and I will post pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! Enjoy the build. The stand color has to much going on, it would take away from the tank it's self, glad to see it's being changed.

Thank you. Yes sir! One thing I learned in this hobby is Patience is king. Going to be cool documenting it and being able to look back on it.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I spoke a little too soon. There seems to be a small leak. Lukily it is through a seam of the overflow. Very small and couldn't even tell on my water level marker I placed to determine a leak. Do you think I will be fine to just leave it since its in my overflow or should I put some silicone on some of the seams to try and seal it?

uc

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Funny about the Hot Wheels. LOL.

Oh, just saw about the leak. I would seal it.

I ordered some Black Aquarium Silicone last night. Should be here tomorrow. I am going to drain the tank tonight and prep it for Silicone. Hopefully, this will help seal it. If not, then it isn't that big of an issue. I put marking tape on the water level and the leak is so minimal I couldn't tell a difference in 36 hours. Luckily it is in my overflow drain so at the worst it would just drain very slowly to my sump. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a lot has happened since my last post. Lol. I painted the stand and reinforced it removing the old braces and installing new 2x4's. I painted the canopy and reinforced it as well removing older decaying boards. I ended up selling the 125 tank. My OCD kicked in when I put lights over it. The scratches were getting to me and I did not want to do all this work and not be happy in the end. I bought a new Marineland dual overflow tank on sale and it is arriving this Wednesday. I still have a lot of work to do but hopefully I can start on the move this weekend if everything works out right.

Question for anyone with experience on moving an existing tank(See pictures). I am going to move my 55 gallon to the left wall and put my 125 where the 55 gallon is currently. What is the best approach and method to doing this? I was thinking of drawing out 80% of the water into a reservoir and hopefully being able to slide it over. Then I will pump the water back in. I have a lot to do with minimal time for minimal lost. Also, once moved what would be the approach to moving everything over to the new 125? I imagine throwing everything in the 125 at once probably isnt the best idea. Also, i have about 200 lbs of extra dry rock i want to use. Should i cycle the tank first with the new rock then throw the existing rock into the new tank? I just dont want to start another cycle with the existing tank.

Also, what do you all think about me keeping the 55 tank for a predator FOWLR tank? I am either going to move everything over and sell it or keep it.

Thanks everyone and any help would be appreciated!!

Also, disregard the pipe coming out of the wall. :) I know it is ugly and my whole intention is to build a wall around the pipe to enclose it when the 125 gets in place.
af3ee52bbcfd6bdc09ebfa93643989bc.jpg
ccbb85b81458819dd9cffa9a03f12462.jpg
70cba21dd17178a4965c6b4d203c380f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to change the name to to 150 gallon build now. I called the LFS and changed the new 125 to a 150. I wanted the extra head room so I pulled the trigger. Tank will be in Wednesday. Finished painted the inside of canopy. Hopefully, Should be able to get everything moved in this weekend.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the top of the thread next to the "Watch Thread" link their is one called "Thread Tools" in your own threads. You can change the title in there. If that does not show up for you you can ask a moderator to do it.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the top of the thread next to the "Watch Thread" link their is one called "Thread Tools" in your own threads. You can change the title in there. If that does not show up for you you can ask a moderator to do it.
Thank you! I am sure I will be changing the title more than once Lol.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and stoked for you being back up to almost full throttle.

Thanks for the pictures and all the info you have given.

Please keep the updates coming.
Thank you! I have missed my 150 for 9 years and had to get back. I know a lot more and am more prepared than I was 9 years ago. Looking forward to getting all this up and running.

Thank again! I see you are from the Carolinas. Are you from NC or SC?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have missed my 150 for 9 years and had to get back. I know a lot more and am more prepared than I was 9 years ago. Looking forward to getting all this up and running.

Thank again! I see you are from the Carolinas. Are you from NC or SC?

Some call it North Carolina. ;)

I like Concord. How long have you been there?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some call it North Carolina. ;)

I like Concord. How long have you been there?
Lol. I moved from Florida to Concord in 2010. I love it up here. I just wish the weather could make up its mind. Where abouts are you in "North Carolina"? :)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I moved from Florida to Concord in 2010. I love it up here. I just wish the weather could make up its mind. Where abouts are you in "North Carolina"? :)

I was born and raised in Raleigh but live in one of the suburbs of Raleigh now. The quaint town of Holly Springs. :)

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born and raised in Raleigh but live in one of the suburbs of Raleigh now. The quaint town of Holly Springs. :)
Yes sir! Not to far away. I actually sold my 125 over the weekend to a guy who came down from Raleigh.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice buddy...what are your plans?

Sure makes it easier having the premade plumbing for the OF's included. :)

Great choice.
Thank you. My plans are to figure out how to lift this thing! :). I tore my right bicep tendon on Christmas Eve and had surgery two months ago. I have my last follow up with the Orthopedic Surgeon today. I am going to ask him his thoughts on me lifting a 400+lb fish tank. Lol. Luckily I have a couple buddies that could help.

My plans are to go SPS dominant.

I was planning on moving everything over this weekend but that isn't going to happen. I have too much stuff to get ready before moving it. I don't want to rush it. Looking like another two weeks out.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back